Skip to main content
Advertising

News | Minnesota Vikings – vikings.com

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah & Kevin O'Connell Mourn Tragedy as Fathers Before Fielding Football Questions

EAGAN, Minn. — Football got set aside for a few moments Thursday.

Vikings Head Coach Kevin O'Connell and General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah were fathers first and football executives second as they addressed the previous day's tragic mass shooting at Annunciation Catholic School (Minneapolis) church and school in Minneapolis.

O'Connell shared that he, Adofo-Mensah and other members of the coaching and personnel staff had been going over final roster construction details when news broke of the shooting that took the lives of an 8-year-old and 10-year-old and wounded nearly 20 others.

"We all stopped, and immediately our hearts and minds were with the victims and all who were impacted," O'Connell said. "Personally, as a father of four, I happen to have a 10- and an 8-year-old, and it's impossible for me to wrap my mind around what those parents are feeling.

"I'm absolutely heartbroken for them, and no child should ever be lost to violence in any way," he continued. "We are praying for all those who witnessed the attack, especially all the young kids who witnessed it. Understandably, their lives will be altered forever. And lastly, just thinking about the first responders and those hospital workers who stepped up in those moments so quickly and tirelessly to ensure more lives weren't lost."

Adofo-Mensah, who has two young sons, echoed that he and O'Connell are "trying to process this event as fathers." He expressed deep condolences to all those affected and shared specific prayers on his heart.

"I pray we don't have to start a press conference like this again," Adofo-Mensah said. "I pray that we don't become numb to these seemingly more frequently occurring things, locally and nationally. And I pray that we break some of the divisiveness that's involved right now that we're in this cycle of inactivity toward being able to find solutions to solve these issues."

Adofo-Mensah and O'Connell acknowledged how difficult it was to transition from such a painful topic to questions around the football team. O'Connell emphasized, however, that the Vikings will continue to offer support in appropriate ways.

"As an organization, I have no doubt we'll show up in the right way, at the right time," he said. "That's what we do, that's what we pride ourselves on, and we'll do that for those that were impacted. The only thing that matters right now is wrapping our arms around all those affected."

Below are four takeaways from on-field topics O'Connell and Adofo-Mensah subsequently discussed.

1. Confident in 53-man roster

The Vikings on Tuesday rolled out their 53-man roster after making difficult decisions and whittling down to the group they feel most confident about heading into the 2025 season.

Though the roster is always an evolving entity, O'Connell and Adofo-Mensah are happy with and energized by the lineup as it currently stands — which includes the recent additions of QB Carson Wentz and WR Adam Thielen, who was brought back through a trade with Carolina.

"We're really excited about where we are as a team," Adofo-Mensah said. "It's the result accumulation of a long, dedicated process of exhaustive and intentional detail. I always want to start off by thanking the front office staff, who works incredibly hard, my executive staff, all the members of the personnel team."

The Vikings GM recognized difficult decisions made along the way, whether releasing or trading players who "do the right thing and do everything to fit into this culture."

One unique aspect of Minnesota's roster are the seven UDFAs who earned their way onto the initial 53-man roster.

"It's incredible," Adofo-Mensah said. "You know, we talk about a culture built on competitiveness, growth, mindset, all those different things. So to really have a true meritocracy where people come in and have a chance to impact and make this team, that's just an embodiment and signal of that.

"All those guys making the roster, that goes back to a lot of hard work in the spring, our personnel staff, and getting their character and background that fit in our system, the coaches who are involved," he added. "I think a lot of the success you have in UDFAs is which guys the coaches want to coach. How do they fit in your system when the traits [land them] maybe not in the first day or second day [of the draft]. That really comes from the coaches, from looking with a certain eye and saying, 'Hey, what can we use?' … So, we're really excited about that."

2. Difficult parting with Harrison Phillips

Among difficult decisions made by Adofo-Mensah and his staff was opting to trade Harrison Phillips to the Jets.

"He was the first free agent I brought in here. I remember the emotion he had when he signed his contract, the big moment for a kid growing up and playing this sport," Adofo-Mensah recalled. "Those [conversations] are hard. These relationships are real. They're not transactional, so then you have to reverse them in that manner. It's tough, but I wouldn't be doing my job as general manager of the Vikings if I let that dictate what actions we take."

O'Connell similarly noted the relationship he'd built with Phillips over the three seasons he played in Minnesota.

"That was one of the hardest conversations I've had, and it was because of how much I care about the player and, more importantly, what Harrison has poured into the Minnesota Vikings," O'Connell said. "I agree with all the aspects of the move, and I think Harrison, once he got a chance to step back and really understand the dynamics to it and the positive outcome it could be for him — and I have no doubt he's going to make it that — but it doesn't make those initial conversations any easier."

3. Depth at cornerback

The Vikings initial 53-man roster has four cornerbacks on it: Byron Murphy, Jr.; Isaiah Rodgers; Dwight McGlothern, Jr.; and Jeff Okudah.

Asked about his feelings on depth at the position, Adofo-Mensah mentioned there are a variety of factors at play.

"We have the ability to play big nickel and different things like that, so we do look at that group with that versatility," he said. "But we also were able to bring back Fabian [Moreau to the practice squad], who we view as an NFL-caliber guy who can come in and play a lot of snaps for us. And we'll always be mindful throughout the season to look at different opportunities."

View photos of the Vikings 53-man roster as of Aug. 26, 2025.

4. Special teams perspective

The Vikings have some new faces on their special unit, including rookie receiver Myles Price, who has returned punts throughout the preseason.

O'Connell said they are excited about Price and other young players from which they've "felt a sense of confidence."

"And I think we feel pretty good about Tai Felton and Myles, and just the variety of guys, either on our roster or practice squad, who can step up and play those roles when required," O'Connell said. "I think that's been a point of emphasis, not only the returners, but it's the other 10 guys who are on the field with him, as well, that I feel very good about Matt Daniels and his special teams group.

"We've got a deep football team, in my opinion, and that bodes really well for that phase," O'Connell added.

Check out the 2025 International games.

View future opponents for the Vikings.

Download the official Vikings App.

Advertising