Look back at photos over the course of time featuring games between the Vikings and the Chargers.
The Minnesota Vikings (11-5 in 2015) host the San Diego Chargers (4-12 in 2015) for the first NFL game in their new home, U.S. Bank Stadium, at noon (CT) on Sunday, Aug. 28. The NFC North champions look to establish home-field advantage and defend its perfect (2-0) preseason mark in their first preseason matchup against San Diego since 2012. The game will be simulcast live locally on FOX 9 and KFAN 100.3 FM. The simulcast team features Paul Allen and Pete Bercich in the booth with Greg Coleman and Ben Leber on the sideline.
The Vikings look to carry a history of indoor dominance into a new era. In the franchise's 327 indoor games, the Vikings have won an all-time NFL-best 201, for a league-leading .615 winning percentage. The Chargers travel east for the second time this preseason with a 1-1 record after opening their exhibition slate with a 27-10 loss at Tennessee and taking a 19-3 decision against Arizona.
TELEVISION: FOX 9 (Channel 9 in Minneapolis) Play-by-Play: Kevin Burkhardt; Analyst: John Lynch; Sideline Reporter: Pam Oliver
LOCAL RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3/KTLK-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen; Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporters: Greg Coleman and Ben Leber
Pre-Game Show: Mike Mussman – 11 a.m. CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 63-station, five-state Vikings Radio Network.
VIKINGS IN THE PRESEASON
- The Vikings all-time preseason record is 150-97-3 (.606).
- The team has finished a preseason undefeated seven times (1964, '65, '73, '92, '98, 2001, '14).
- The Vikings have finished with a .500 record or better 42 times in the team's 55 preseasons.
- Minnesota has finished .500 or better in the regular season 32 times after posting a .500 or better record in the preseason.
- The 13 preseasons in which the Vikings have finished below .500, the team went on to finish below .500 seven times in the ensuing regular season.
- Under Head Coach Mike Zimmer, the Vikings have compiled a 10-1 (.909) record in the 2014 (4-0), 2015 (4-1) and 2016 (2-0) preseasons. Zimmer led Minnesota to eight-straight preseason wins before falling to Tennessee 24-17 in last year's preseason finale.
Vikings Offensive Coordinator Norv Turner served in the same role for the San Diego Chargers in 2001 and returned to San Diego as the Head Coach from 2007-12.
Chargers Offensive Line Coach Jeff Davidson held the same post with the Vikings from 2011-15.
Vikings Offensive Line Coach Tony Sparano worked with Chargers Offensive Coordinator Ken Whisenhunt in Cleveland in 1999. Sparano served as Offensive Quality Control Coach while Whisenhunt served as Special Teams Coordinator.
Vikings Tight Ends Coach Pat Shurmur (2011-12), and Chargers Strength & Conditioning Coach Kent Johnson (2010-12) and Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach Rick Lyle (2009-12) worked together in Cleveland.
Vikings Offensive Line Coach Tony Sparano worked with Chargers Assistant Offensive Line Dave DeGuglielmo in Miami from 2009-11. Sparano served as Head Coach while DeGuglielmo served as Offensive Line Coach.
Vikings CB Trae Waynes and Chargers RB Melvin Gordon grew up together in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and were teammates at Bradford High School. The close friends both went on to play in the Big Ten and each were selected in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft.
Vikings T Jeremiah Sirles played for San Diego in 2014. The Vikings traded for Sirles on Sept. 5, 2015.
Vikings T Mike Harris played under Norv Turner in San Diego from 2012-13.
Vikings Assistant Strength and Conditioning coach Jeff Hurd served as the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Chargers from 2007-12.
Vikings Offensive Line Coach Tony Sparano (Jacksonville: 2002; Dallas: 2003-04) worked at multiple organizations with Chargers Tight Ends Coach John McNulty (Jacksonville: 2000-02; Dallas: 2003). Sparano served as Offensive Quality Control Coach while Whisenhunt served as Special Teams Coordinator in Cleveland during the 1999 season.
Chargers Pro Scout Regis Eller is the son of Vikings Hall of Famer Carl Eller and is a native of Minneapolis. Regis served as an LB Coach Intern for the Vikings in 2005 and also coached at Breck High School, where he attended and played LB.
Vikings Assistant Offensive Line Coach Hank Fraley served as the Offensive Line Coach for University of San Diego in 2012.
Vikings OL Austin Shepherd played at Alabama with Chargers G D.J. Fluker from 2011-12.
Vikings DT Shamar Stephen played at Connecticut with Chargers DE Kendall Reyes from 2008-10.
Vikings G Isame Faciane played at Florida International from 2010-13, as did Chargers OLB Tourek Williams from 2009-12.
5 players combined from the Vikings and Chargers played at Notre Dame: Vikings S Harrison Smith (2007-10), C John Sullivan (2003-06), TE Kyle Rudolph (2008-09); Chargers ILB Manti Te'o (2009-12) and C/G Chris Watt (2010-13).
Vikings TE Kyle Carter played at Penn State with Chargers CB Trevor Williams from 2012-15.
3 players combined from the Vikings and Chargers played at Fresno State: Vikings DT Claudell Louis (2013-15); Chargers WR Isaiah Burse (2010-13) and G-T Kenny Wiggins (2006-10).
3 players combined from the Vikings and Chargers played at Wisconsin: Vikings QB Joel Stave (2011-15); Chargers RB Melvin Gordon (2011-14) and FB Derek Watt (2011-15).
Vikings DE Stephen Weatherly played at Vanderbilt with Chargers C Spencer Pulley from 2012-15.
Vikings CB Captain Munnerlyn played at South Carolina with Chargers OLB Melvin Ingram from 2007-08.
VIKINGS BIG DAYS VS. CHARGERS
- RB Adrian Peterson had the highest single-game rushing output in NFL history vs. San Diego on Nov. 4, 2007, when he ran for 296 yards and 3 touchdowns on 30 carries.
- S Michael Griffin had 18 tackles and forced a fumble against the Chargers on Sept. 16, 2012 while a member of the Titans.
- LB Chad Greenway recorded a tackle, a pass defended and returned an interception 91 yards for a touchdown against the Chargers on Sept. 27, 2015.