The defending NFC North Champion Minnesota Vikings (13-3 in 2017) open their home 2018 preseason slate against the Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6 in 2017) on Saturday, Aug. 18.
Kickoff is set for noon (CT) at U.S. Bank Stadium. The game will be simulcast live locally on FOX 9 and KFAN 100.3-FM.
The Vikings have earned a 15-3 (.833) preseason mark under Head Coach Mike Zimmer, who has led the club to two undefeated preseasons in his four seasons at the helm. Prior to dropping the 2015 preseason finale at Tennessee, 24-17, the Vikings boasted a perfect 8-0 preseason mark under Zimmer.
Minnesota's first units showed well in Preseason Week 1. After the defense forced a three-and-out, the offense scored a touchdown on an eight-play drive, 75-yard drive on its only possession.
QB Kirk Cousins was a perfect 4-of-4 passing for 42 yards with a 1-yard touchdown pass to WR Stefon Diggs. RB Latavius Murray, who finished with four carries for 43 yards, had runs of 20 and 21 yards on the first team's lone possession of the game.
FOX 9 (TV Channel 9 in Minneapolis/St. Paul) and KFAN 100.3-FM/KTLK-AM 1130, as well as NFL Network
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen
Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporters: Greg Coleman and Ben Leber
Radio Pre-game Show: Mike Mussman | 10 a.m. (CT)
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 63-station, five-state Vikings Radio Network.
VIKINGS IN THE PRESEASON
* The Vikings have a combined record of 155-99-3 (.610) in their 257 preseason games.
* The team has finished undefeated in the preseason eight times (1964, '65, '73, '92, '98, '01, '14, '16).
* The Vikings have finished with a .500 record or better 44 times in the team's 57 preseasons.
* Minnesota has finished .500 or better in the regular season 34 times after posting a .500 or better record in the preseason.
* The 13 preseasons in which the Vikings have finished below .500, the team went on to finish below .500 seven times in the ensuing regular season.
* Under Head Coach Mike Zimmer, the Vikings have compiled a 15-3 (.833) record in the 2014 (4-0), 2015 (4-1) and 2016 (4-0), 2017 (2-2) and 2018 (1-0) preseasons.
Vikings quarterbacks Kirk Cousins, Trevor Siemian and Kyle Sloter combined to complete 24 of 32 passes (75 percent) for 276 yards and four touchdowns. Minnesota's combined passer rating was 127.1.
Undrafted rookie Roc Thomas caught three passes for 102 yards and two touchdowns in his first pro game at Denver.
Fifteen Vikings players caught at least one pass against the Broncos. In addition to Thomas, Stefon Diggs, Chad Beebe and Mike Boone each had three receptions.
Anthony Harris and Jack Tocho each recorded interceptions at Denver, and the Vikings scored touchdowns after each turnover.
Tashawn Bower and Jonathan Wynn each recorded sacks for the Vikings defense.
Rookie and Colorado native Daniel Carlson kicked field goals of 39 and 57 yards and was 4-for-4 on extra points in his "homecoming" game.
Minnesota led the NFL in yards allowed and points allowed in 2017. Jacksonville ranked second in both categories.
Boone, the undrafted rookie running back, and tackle Rashod Hill are from the Jacksonville area. Hill entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie with the Jaguars in 2016 before joining the Vikings that November.