The Minnesota Vikings (6-2), winners of 4 consecutive games for the 1st time since 2012, travel to take on the Oakland Raiders (4-4) at 3:05 p.m. CT at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum. The Raiders own a 2-2 record at home this season while the Vikings also hold a 2-2 mark on the road.
In Week 9 the Vikings registered their 2nd straight walk-off victory after defeating the St. Louis Rams, 21-18, in OT at TCF Bank Stadium. The Oakland Raiders dropped their Week 9 contest at the Pittsburgh Steelers, 35-38.
RB Adrian Peterson, who recorded his 46th career 100+ rushing yard game in Week 9, is 1st in the NFL with 758 rushing yards and has added 4 TDs on the ground. Peterson currently has 10,948 career rushing yards and trails RB Warrick Dunn (10,967) by 19 yards for 21st all-time. As a team, the Vikings rank 6th in rushing yards per game with 132.7 per game. Since making his NFL debut in Week 4, WR Stefon Diggs is 8th in the NFL in receiving yards with 461 on 28 catches in 5 games. In that same span, Diggs has hauled in 11 receptions of 20+ yards, tied for the most in the NFL.
The Vikings are the only team in the NFL to hold their opponents to 23 or fewer points in every game this season and are tied for the 2nd-fewest points allowed per game (17.5) in the NFL. Vikings S Harrison Smith leads the 6th-ranked passing defense in the NFL, allowing only 220.6 passing yards per game. With 8 tackles, 3 TFLs and a half sack vs. the Rams in Week 9, DT Linval Joseph helped limit the Rams offensive unit and held RB Todd Gurley to a 3.6 yards per rush avg. and a long rush of 16 yards.
NATIONAL TELEVISION: FOX (Ch. 9 in the Twin Cities)
Play-by-Play: Chris Myers Analyst: Ronde Barber
Sideline: Holly Sonders
LOCAL RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3/KTLK-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman
Pre-Game Show: Mike Mussman – 1:00 p.m. CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 72-station, 5-state Vikings Radio Network.
• The Vikings defense is 2nd in NFL on 3rd down holding opponents to a 29.7% (30-of-101) converstion rate on 3rd down.
• With 3 runs of 40+ yards, RB Adrian Peterson (43t, 48t, 75) trails only Rams RB Todd Gurley (52, 55, 48, 71t) for the most 40+ yard runs in the NFL this season.
• Since Week 2, the Vikings defense ranks 6th in the NFL allowing only 94.7 rush yards per game.
• WR Stefon Diggs, despite only being active for 5 games, has the 2nd-most receiving yards among all rookies with 461 yards, trailing only Oakland WR Amari Cooper who has 653 playing in 8 games.
• S Harrison Smith leads the Vikings with 59 tackles and has 1 INT, 1.0 sack, 1 TFL and 1 FF in 2015.
• With a .750 win percentage (9-3), the Vikings have the highest home win percentage alltime among teams playing in a temporary stadium.
• The Vikings are tied with Kansas City for the fewest penalties in the NFL, only being flagged
45 times. The Vikings offense is the least penalized offensive unit in the league with only 15 penalties. The Vikings special teams also has the fewest in the NFL with 3 penalties.
• QB Teddy Bridgewater set new career marks for road contests with 316 passing yards and 118.3 passer rating at Detroit (10/25). Bridgewater has totaled 772 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT and a 95.3 passer rating in his last 3 road games.
• K Blair Walsh has made 15 straight FGs and is tied for the NFL lead with 19 on the season. Walsh connected on his 5th career game-winning FG, nailing a 40-yarder vs. St. Louis (11/8) in OT.
• The Vikings are the only team in the NFL with 2 rookies with at least 1.5 sacks - LB Eric Kendricks has 4.0 sacks while DE Danielle Hunter has corralled 1.5 sacks.
• PR Marcus Sherels returned his 3rd career punt for a TD at Chicago (11/1) setting a new mark for the most PR TDs in Vikings history. Sherels also holds the team record for career PR average with 10.6.
• Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner served as the Oakland Raiders head coach from 2004-05.
• Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio finished his playing career in the NFL with the Vikings from 1992-95.
• Raiders QB coach Todd Downing worked for the Vikings as an intern and coaching assistant from 2001-02, football systems analyst from 2003-04 and served as offensive quality control coach for the Vikings in 2005. Downing also coached Vikings QB
Shaun Hill with the Detroit Lions.
• Raiders offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave served in the same role for the Vikings from 2011-13.
• Raiders OL coach Mike Tice served as the tight ends coach for the Vikings in 1996, offensive line/assistant head coach from 1997-2001, interim head coach in 2001 and head coach from 2002-05. Tice also played TE for the Vikings from 1992-93 and '95.
• Vikings signed Raiders WR Andre Holmes as an undrafted free agent in 2011. Holmes spent training camp with the Vikings before being released before the regular season.
• Vikings signed Raiders T Donald Penn as an undrafted free agent in 2006 and was a member of Minnesota's practice squad that year.
• Raiders G J'Marcus Webb had stints with the Vikings in 2013 and '14.
• Raiders QB coach Todd Downing is from Eden Prairie, MN and coached Eden Prairie High School, his alma mater, from 1999-2000. He graduated from University of Minnesota in 2002 and played for a Minnesota semi-pro team, the Minnesota Maulers from 2000-02.
• Vikings TE Rhett Ellison' s father, Riki, played LB for the LA Raiders from 1990-92. Riki played 10 years in the NFL and was a member of 3 Super Bowl teams with the San Francisco 49ers. Rhett attended high school at St. Francis HS in Mountain View, CA.
• Vikings T Austin Shepherd played at Alabama with Raiders WR Amari Cooper.
• CB Xavier Rhodes played at Florida State with Raiders C Rodney Hudson and DE Mario Edwards.
• Raiders LB Neiron Ball was teammates at Florida with Vikings DT Sharrif Floyd.
• Vikings TE Chase Ford played for Miami with 3 Raiders - LB Ray-Ray Armstrong, G Jon Feliciano and TE Clive Walford.
• Raiders DE Justin Tuck and Vikings C John Sullivan played at Notre Dame together.
• Raiders LB Curtis Lofton played at Oklahoma with Vikings RB Adrian Peterson.
• Vikings S Antone Exum Jr. played at Virginia Tech with Raiders LB Chase Williams.
• 4 USC Trojans are rostered for this game: Raiders LB Malcolm Smith (2007-10), Vikings T Matt Kalil (2008-11), Vikings TE Rhett Ellison (2008-11) and Vikings DE Everson Griffen (2007-09).
VIKINGS-RAIDERS SERIES NOTES
• The Vikings and Rams have played 14 times overall with Oakland holding a 10-4-0 series record.
• The Vikings OC Norv Turner posted a 9-23 record in his 2 season as the head coach of the Raiders in 2004-05.
• The Vikings and Raiders have played 1 OT game in series history, with the Minnesota capturing the win, 16-13, in 1996.
• The Raiders won the most recent matchup win at the Metrodome in 2011, 27-21, behind 109 rushing yards and 1 TD from RB Michael Bush.
A WIN WOULD
• Give the Vikings their 5th consecutive win, the longest for the Vikings since 2009.
• Improve Minnesota's road record to 3-2 on the season. The last time the Vikings finished a season with a winning road record was 1998.
• Be 1st time since 2009 the Vikings have won 3 consecutive games on the road.