The vikings.com 2015 Free Agency Preview series uses **NFL.com’s Top 101 Free Agents* list to break down this year's class and take a look at which players may be fits for the Vikings.*
Check out NFL.com's list of the top 30 free agents.
Candidates for a complementary running back and a backup QB make up part of the next batch of prospective free agents. Most notable, though, may be a few names who could fill the Vikings void at the starting left guard position. Charlie Johnson occupied that role in seasons prior, but he was recently released and that leaves some young pups plus, any free agent signings and possible draft choices to start in between LT Matt Kalil and C John Sullivan.
Note: The rankings by NFL.com are subject to change because teams may release players in the coming days, causing them to hit the market.
51. CB Perrish Cox 52. OG Clint BolingA fourth-round pick in 2011, Boling played in just six games as a rookie but since then has logged 44 starts. He's been a mainstay at LG on Bengals offensive lines that have helped the club reach the postseason in each of the last four years.
53. QB Jake LockerThe trade of Matt Cassel and the likely departure of Christian Ponder via free agency leaves the Vikings QB depth chart vacant (except for Pat Devlin). That means any free agent on this list will be tied to the Vikings, including Locker.
54. RB Justin ForsettA NFL journeyman with stops in Indianapolis, Seattle, Houston and Jacksonville before a breakout season with Baltimore in 2014 (1,266 yards with eight TDs), Forsett hits the market this year and stands to get paid. How much remains to be seen, but a team with a vacancy in its backfield ought to consider this option.
55. S Da'Norris Searcy 56. OT Joe Barksdale 57. WR Kenny Britt 58. OG James CarpenterYoung (25) but experienced (23 starts the past two seasons), Carpenter is another who could fill the Vikings void at LG. The NFL.com one-liner – "Too often a liability in pass protection, Carpenter hasn't lived up to his first-round draft pedigree" – isn't flattering, but he's a starting caliber lineman with a mean streak in the running game.
59. QB Ryan Mallet 60. OG Justin Blalock