The Minnesota Vikings (11-5 in 2015) open the 2016 preseason slate at the Cincinnati Bengals (12- 4 in 2015) on Friday, August 12 after a pair of joint practices on Wednesday and Thursday, August 10-11. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. CT at Paul Brown Stadium. The game will be simulcast live locally on FOX 9 and KFAN 100.3 FM. The simulcast team features Paul Allen and Pete Bercich in the booth with Greg Coleman and Ben Leber on the sideline.
The reigning NFC North champions have earned an 8-1 (.889) preseason mark under Head Coach Mike Zimmer, who served as Cincinnati's defensive coordinator for 6 season (2008-13). Prior to dropping the 2015 preseason finale to Tennessee, 24-17, the Vikings boasted a perfect 8-0 preseason mark under Zimmer. During this week's preseason opener, Zimmer will coach against 13 members of the Bengals coaching staff with whom he shared a tenure in Cincinnati.
TELEVISION: FOX 9 (Channel 9 in Minneapolis) Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman/Ben Leber
LOCAL RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3/KTLK-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman/Ben Leber
Pre-Game Show: Mike Mussman – 5:30 p.m. CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 63-station, 5-state Vikings Radio Network.
VIKINGS IN THE PRESEASON
- The Vikings have a combined record of 148-97-3 (.603) in their 248 preseason games.
- The team has finished undefeated in the preseason 7 times (1964, '65, '73, '92, '98, '01, '14).
- The Vikings have finished with a .500 record or better 42 times in the team's 55 preseasons.
- Minnesota has finished .500 or better in the regular season 32 times after posting a .500 or better record in the preseason.
- The 13 preseasons in which the Vikings have nished below .500, the team went on to finish below .500 seven times in the ensuing regular season.
- Under Head Coach Mike Zimmer, the Vikings have compiled an 8-1 (.889) record in the 2014
(4-0) and 2015 (4-1) preseasons. Zim led Minnesota to 8-straight preseason wins before falling to Tennessee, 24-17, in last year's preseason finale.
• Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer served as the Bengals Defensive Coordinator from 2009-13.
• Vikings Linebackers Coach Adam Zimmer served as the Bengals Assistant DBs Coach in 2013.
• Vikings LB Emmanuel Lamur (2012-15), CB Terence Newman (2012-14) and T Andre Smith (2009-15) played for Cincinnati prior to joining the Vikings.
• The Vikings roster features 2 players from the state of Ohio - G Alex Boone (Lakewood) and G Zac Lerin (Lewis Center).
• Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph is a Cincinnati native. Rudolph attended Cincinnati's Elder High where he was named 1st Team All-American by USA Today as a senior TE. Rudolph was also a star basketball player being named his conference's player of he year 3 times as a prep.
• Vikings S Harrison Smith and TE Kyle Rudolph were teammates with Bengals TE Tyler Eifert at Notre Dame.
• Vikings K Blair Walsh played with Bengals WR A.J. Green at Georgia.
• Bengals LB Rey Maualuga was teammates with Vikings DE Everson Griffen, TE Rhett Ellison and T Matt Kalil at Southern California.
• Vikings CB Trae Waynes and Bengals CB Darqueze Dennard played together at Michigan State.
VIKINGS BIG DAYS VS. BENGALS
- RB Adrian Peterson had 97 yards on 26 carries and 3 catches for 40 yards in a 30-10 win over the Bengals on 12/13/09. Peterson found the end zone twice in that game.
- LB Chad Greenway recorded 4 tackles and 1 FR on 12/13/09 vs. the Bengals.
- S Michael Griffin had 4 tackles and 1 INT in a 24-7 win over the Bengals on 09/14/08 while with the Titans.