THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 2013 - MALL OF AMERICA FIELD - 7:25 PM CT - NFL NETWORK
The Minnesota Vikings (1-7) will host the Washington Redskins (3-5) on Thursday Night Football on November 7, 2013. The game will air nationally on NFL Network and on My29 in the Twin Cities area. Kickoff will take place at 7:25 CT.
The Vikings and Redskins meet for the 4th consecutive season, the longest streak in series history. Minnesota had won 3 in row until their 2012 meeting. Leslie Frazier earned his 1st win as a Head Coach against the Redskins in 2010 after taking over on an interim basis for the final 6 games of the regular season. Frazier, as a head coach, is 2-1 versus Washington.
The Redskins won Super Bowl XXVI in the only Super Bowl played in the Metrodome against the Buffalo Bills during the 1991 season.
NATIONAL TELEVISION: NFL Network (My29 in Twin Cities)
Play-by-Play: Brad Nessler Analyst: Mike Mayock
Sideline Reporter: Alex Flanagan
NATIONAL RADIO: WestwoodOne
Play-by-Play: Ian Eagle Analyst: Trent Green
Sideline Reporter: Laura Okmin
LOCAL RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3/KTCN-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman
Pre-Game Show: Mike Mussman – 5:00 p.m. CT
KFAN and KTCN serve as the flagship stations for the 72-station, 5-state Vikings Radio Network.
STAT OF THE WEEK
• Former Vikings WR Cris Carter will receive his Hall of Fame ring at halftime for his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
• RB Adrian Peterson ranks 1st in the NFL with 88.9 rushing yards per game this season. Peterson is also tied for 1st in the NFL with 3 50 yard runs in 2013.
• Vikings LB
• The Vikings are the only team in the NFL with 2 players ranking in the top-6 in all purpose yards, with Patterson (3rd, 956 yards) and Peterson (6th, 872 yards).
• Since 2011, special teams coordinator Mike Priefer's first year in Minnesota, the Vikings are tied with the Denver Broncos and the Tennessee Titans for the most kick return and punt return TDs with 6 (4 kick returns, 2 punt returns).
• With 1 catch, Peterson will become the 6th RB in Vikings history to have at least 200 receptions. Ted Brown (339) has the most receptions by a RB in Vikings history.
• For the season, Patterson leads the NFL with 808 kick return yards, 36.7 yard kick return average and 2 kick return TDs.
• Peterson currently ranks 2nd among all active players with 88 TDs, trailing only Tony Gonzalez (107).
• The Vikings are only the only team with 3 special teams return TDs and one of two teams (Denver) in the NFL that have scored on a kickoff return and a punt return in the 2013 season.
• Vikings DE
• NFL Network Play-by-Play announcer Brad Nessler served as the voice of the Vikings during the 1988 and 1989 seasons. Nessler hails from St. Charles, Minn. and graduated from Minnesota State University.
• Redskins Offensive Line Coach Chris Foerster coached with Vikings Defensive Coordinator Alan Williams in 2001 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and from 2002-03 with the Indianapolis Colts. Vikings Assistant Defensive Line Coach Diron Reynolds also served on that same Colts staff. Foerster also coached under Vikings Special Assistant to the Head Coach/Linebackers Coach Mike Singletary while with the San Francisco 49ers from 2008-09. Foerster received his first NFL experience with the Vikings as an Assistant Offensive Line/Tight Ends Coach from 1993-95.
• Redskins Area Scout Kyle Smith, the son of Chargers GM A.J. Smith, signed with the Vikings as a college free agent, where he spent part of the 2006 offseason.
• Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave coached the Redskins quarterbacks in 2005, helping QB Mark Brunell throw a career-best 23 TD passes.
• Vikings TE Coach Jimmie Johnson played TE for the Redskins from 1989-91.
• Redskins Head Coach Mike Shanahan coached for the University of Minnesota in 1979 as the Offensive Coordinator. During his time with Minnesota, Shanahan's son, Kyle, was born in Minneapolis. Kyle Shanahan currently serves as the Redskins Offensive Coordinator.
• Redskins Assistant Defensive Backs/Special Teams Coach Richard Hightower coached the wide receivers at the University of Minnesota in 2009.
• Redskins Offensive Line Coach Chris Foerster coached the Golden Gophers offensive line in 1992, just prior to joining the Vikings staff the following year.
• Vikings Personnel Consultant Conrad Cardano was born in Washington, DC and attended nearby Bladensburg (MD) High School.
• Redskins DBs Coach Raheem Morris coached with Vikings DBs Coach Joe Woods from 2004-05 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
• Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave played under Redskins Head Coach Mike Shanahan in San Francisco and Denver.
• Vikings Linebackers Coach Fred Pagac coached alongside Redskins Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs Coach Bobby Turner at Ohio State from 1989-90. Turner also completed the Bill Walsh Minority Internship with the Vikings from 1990-91.
• Vikings Defensive Assistant Coach Jeff Imamura and Redskins QBs Coach Matt LaFleur served on the same staff at Saginaw Valley State in 2003.
• Vikings LB
• Redskins K Kai Forbath played with Vikings P
• This game features 5 Florida State teammates: Vikings QB
• Vikings WR
VIKINGS BIG DAYS VS. REDSKINS
• As a member of the Kansas City Chiefs, DE
• Vikings RB
• On 11/28/10, Vikings DT
• Vikings S
VIKINGS-REDSKINS SERIES NOTES
• This will mark the 4th consecutive year that the Redskins and Vikings have met in the regular season. The Vikings have won 2 of those 3 games.
• The Vikings and Redskins met in the 2nd round of the Super Bowl Tournament in 1982, the only year the Super Bowl Tournament has taken place. The Super Bowl Tournament replaced the regular playoff format because a players' strike shortened the regular season to 9 games.
• Head Coach Leslie Frazier won his first game as the head coach of the Vikings against Washington on 11/28/11, five days after being named interim coach.
• This will be the 2nd meeting between the two franchises on Thursday Night Football. The Redskins defeated the Vikings 31-17 on 11/29/84.
A WIN WOULD...
• Give the Vikings their first home win over the Redskins since 10/18/98.
• Give the Vikings their first win on Thursday Night Football since 11/30/00.
• Give the Vikings their 3rd win over the Redskins in the past 4 seasons