WEEK 6 • SUNDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2013 - NOON CT
The Minnesota Vikings (1-3) will play host to the Carolina Panthers (1-3) in only their 2nd game at Mall of America Field on Sunday, October 13, 2013. The Vikings are coming off a bye following their first win of the season while the Panthers are coming off a 22-6 loss at Arizona.
The Vikings are coming off their best offensive performance of the season behind 140 rushing yards and 2 TDs from
The Vikings defense has forced 12 turnovers through first 4 games, which ranks 4th in the NFL.
TELEVISION: FOX (Channel 9 in the Twin Cities)
Play-by-Play: Sam Rosen Analyst: Brian Billick
Sideline Reporter: Laura Okmin
RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3/KTCN-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman
Pre-Game Show: Mike Mussman – 10:00 a.m. CT
KFAN and KTCN serve as the flagship stations for the 72-station, 5-state Vikings Radio Network.
STAT OF THE WEEK
• RB Adrian Peterson ran for his 12th TD of 60 yards against the Pittsburgh Steelers (9/29/13), increasing his NFL record. The previous high of 9 was set by Jim Brown.
• Despite having an early bye, Peterson leads the NFL in rushing touchdowns (5) and is tied for 2nd in rushing yards (421).
• Peterson’s 61-yard touchdown run and WR Greg Jennings’ 70-yard touchdown reception marked the first time since 9/21/03 that the Vikings had a 60 yard run and a 70 yard pass in the same game.
• The Vikings are tied for 1st in the NFL with the Indianapolis Colts and Pittsburgh Steelers with only 12 penalties against them.
• The Vikings signed QB
• The Vikings have 103 sacks from since the start of the 2011 season, 4th in the NFL in that span, trailing Cincinnati (109), Denver (108) and Baltimore (104).
• QB Matt Cassel passed for 248 yards against the Pittsburgh Steelers (9/29/13), the 2nd most by a Vikings quarterback making their first start.
• Cassel completed 10-of-10 passing attempts in the 2nd half against the Steelers, becoming the second Vikings quarterback since 1991 to complete all of his 2nd half passes with a minimum of 10 attempts (Daunte Culpepper, 11/8/04).
• Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave served as the Panthers Quarterbacks Coach in 1999 and as their Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach in 2000.
• Vikings Offensive Line Coach Jeff Davidson spent the 2007-10 seasons with the Panthers as their Offensive Coordinator.
• Vikings C
• Vikings FB
• Panthers DT Colin Cole was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Vikings and spent time on the Vikings practice squad during his rookie season in 2003.
• Vikings T Matt Kalil is the brother of Panthers C Ryan Kalil. The pair became the 3rd set of brothers in USC history to each earn 1st-Team All-America honors.
• Vikings WR
• Vikings WR Cordarrelle Patterson grew up in Rock Hill, S.C.
• Vikings LB
• Vikings S
• Panthers TE Richie Brockel and Vikings DT
• A total of 7 players on both rosters played football at Southern California. Vikings QB Matt Cassel (2000-04), FB
• Vikings rookies G
• Panthers DT Sione Fua and Vikings RB
• While Vikings Defensive Coordinator Alan Williams coached at William & Mary (1996-2000), Panthers Defensive Coordinator Sean McDermott played (1996-97) and coached (1998) there.
• Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier and Assistant Head Coach/LBs Coach Mike Singletary played together with Panthers Head Coach Ron Rivera for the Chicago Bears. The trio played a key part on the Bears defense in their victory in Super Bowl XX.
VIKINGS BIG DAYS VS. PANTHERS
• Vikings DE Jared Allen recorded 5 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble and 1 fumble recovery against Carolina on 10/30/2011. It is one of four times in Allen’s career that he has recorded a sack and recovered a fumble in the same game.
• Vikings RB Adrian Peterson recorded a career-high 76 receiving yards in a 24-21 victory over the Panthers on 10/30/2011. Peterson also hauled in a career-long 63-yard touchdown reception in that game.
• In his 2nd career start, QB Christian Ponder was 18-of-28 passing for 236 yards and 1 TD. The 24-21 victory over the Panthers on 10/30/2011 was Ponder’s first career win as an NFL starter.
• In a 2011 game against the Panthers, CB
VIKINGS-PANTHERS SERIES NOTES
• The Vikings have won 3 of their last 4 meetings against the Panthers.
• The Vikings and Panthers have played one overtime game, a 16-13 Vikings victory in 2006.
• This will be the 2nd regular season head-to-head meeting between Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier and Panthers Head Coach Ron Rivera, former teammates on the Chicago Bears.
• The Vikings and Panthers have never met in the postseason.
• The Vikings were the first franchise to hand the Panthers back-to-back road losses with the Vikings victories in 1996 and 1997.
A WIN WOULD...
• Give the Vikings their 3rd consecutive victory over the Panthers at Mall of America Field.
• Give the Vikings their 1st win coming off of a bye week since 11/15/2009.
• Give the Vikings their 1st home win over an NFC South team since defeating Carolina on 9/21/08