MONDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2013 - METLIFE STADIUM - 7:40 CT - ESPN
The Minnesota Vikings (1-4) face the New York Giants (0-6) on Monday, October 21 at MetLife Stadium. The game, scheduled to kickoff at 7:40 CT, marks the 2nd time the Vikings will play at MetLife Stadium with both matchups coming on Monday Night Football with the other against the New York Jets in 2010. The Vikings will make their 56th appearance on Monday Night Football.
The Vikings and Giants last met under unique circumstances on Monday, December 13, 2010 in a game played at Ford Field in Detroit. The game was originally scheduled for 12/12/10 but was moved due to a weather-related collapse of the roof of Mall of America Field. The Giants beat the Vikings 21-3 in the contest, but the Vikings own the series record 14-11, including a 8-6 mark on the road.
NATIONAL TELEVISION: ESPN (Broadcast Locally on WCCO - Ch. 4)
Play-by-Play: Mike Tirico Analyst: Jon Gruden
Sideline Reporter: Lisa Salters
NATIONAL RADIO: WestwoodOne
Play-by-Play: Kevin Harlan Analyst: Boomer Esiason
Sideline Reporter: Ross Tucker
LOCAL RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3/KTCN-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman
Pre-Game Show: Mike Mussman – 5:00 p.m. CT
KFAN and KTCN serve as the flagship stations for the 72-station, 5-state Vikings Radio Network.
STAT OF THE WEEK
• Loeffler and DT
• DE Jared Allen holds the team MNF record and 2nd in MNF history with 4.5 sacks in a game (vs. GB, 10/5/09).
• The Vikings, with 22 penalites against them, trail only Miami (21) and are tied with Indianapolis for the 2nd best mark in the NFL.
• Peterson, who ranks 4th in the NFL with 483 rushing yards, is 63 yards ahead of where he was through 5 games during his 2012 MVP season when he finished with 2,097 yards, the second highest single season total in NFL history.
• The Vikings signed QB
• Freeman has played in 1 MNF game, a 24-17 win over the Colts on October 3, 2011. Freeman had 287 passing yards, 1 passing TD and 0 INTs as well as 1 rushing TD.
• The Vikings rank 3rd in the NFL in avg. starting field position following a kickoff (23.6 starting line).
• Vikings DE
• Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer coached for the Giants from 2003-05. Priefer also coached in Jacksonville with Giants head coach Tom Coughlin in 2002.
• Vikings HOF QB Fran Tarkenton played for the Giants from 1967-71. He began his career with the Vikings in 1961 before moving to the Giants in 1967 and back the Vikings in 1972 in blockbuster trades.
• The Wilf family, who has led the ownership group of the Vikings for the past 9 seasons, hails from New Jersey and is deeply rooted within the community.
• The New York Giants hosted their training camp in St. Peter, Minnesota at Gustavus Adolphus College in 1952-53. The Giants also held training camp in Superior, Wisconsin in 1939, 1941-42 and 1946. Vikings legendary head coach Bud Grant got introduced to football by attending the Giants’ camp in Wisconsin as a child.
• The Giants 1989 1st round draft selection, C Brian Williams, attended Minnesota and currently has a son who plays TE for the Gopher, Maxx Williams. The elder Williams played for the Giants from 1989-99.
• A total of 8 players on both rosters played football at Southern California. Vikings QB
• Vikings DT
• Vikings S
• Vikings C
• Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul (2009) and LB Jacquian Williams (2009- 10) were teammates at South Florida with Vikings S
• Giants asst. strength and conditioning coach Joe Danos coached Vikings QB
• Vikings LB
VIKINGS BIG DAYS VS. GIANTS
• In two of his four career games against the Giants, Vikings LB
• On 12/30/08, Vikings RB Adrian Peterson ran 67 yards for a TD , marking his 4th rushing TD of 60 yards. Peterson currently has 12 60 rushing TDs of 60 yards, an NFL record.
• Vikings DE Jared Allen recorded a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery against New York on 1/3/2010, the last Vikings victory against the Giants.
• Vikings WR
VIKINGS-GIANTS SERIES NOTES
• The Vikings have won 4 of their last 5 meetings against the Giants.
• After inclement weather caused the Metrodome roof to collapse, the Vikings and Giants played at Ford Field in Detroit, Mich., on 12/13/10. The Giants won the game 21-3.
• The Vikings and Giants have met 4 times on Monday Night Football with each team winning a pair of games.
• The Vikings and Giants have met three times in the postseason with the Vikings having a 1-2 record in those games.
• The Vikings 44-7 victory over the Giants on 1/3/10 is the last time Minnesota has scored more than 40 points in a game.
• The Vikings defeated the Giants in New York, 41-17, on 11/25/07, the same season the Giants went on to win Super Bowl XLII over New England.
A WIN WOULD...
• Give the Vikings their 1st win on Monday NIght Football since 10/5/09 when they defeated the Green Bay Packers 30-23.
• Give the Vikings their 1st road win of the 2013 NFL season.
• Give the Vikings their 27th victory in a Monday Night Football game, which would tie them for 10th all-time in NFL history.