PRESEASON WEEK THREE - MINNESOTA VIKINGS AT KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
SATURDAY, AUGUST 23, 2014 - ARROWHEAD STADIUM - KANSAS CITY, MO - 7:00 PM CT - KARE
The Minnesota Vikings will head to Kansas City to take on the Chiefs for the third game of the 2014 preseason. Minnesota enters the game having won their first two games of the preseason with victories over Oakland and Arizona.
In last Saturday’s contest against the Cardinals, QB
Saturday’s game marks the first preseason meeting between Minnesota and Kansas City since 2009, a 17-13 Vikings victory.
Next Thursday the Vikings will travel to Tennessee to play the Titans in their final preseason game while Kansas City will travel to Green Bay on Thursday.
The Vikings added 40 new faces to the roster since the conclusion of the 2013 season, including 10 players selected in the 2014 NFL Draft. The Vikings selected two players in the 1st round of the draft, LB Anthony Barr (#9 overall) and QB Teddy Bridgewater (#32 overall).
KARE (Channel 11 in Minneapolis)
Play-By-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman/Ben Leber
KFAN-FM 100.3/KTLK-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman/Ben Leber
Pre-Game Show: Mike Mussman – 6:00 PM CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 72-station, 5-state Vikings Radio Network.
VIKINGS IN THE PRESEASON
* The Vikings have a combined record of 142-96-3 (.595) in their 241 preseason games.
* The team has finished undefeated in the preseason 6 times (1964, ‘65, ‘73, ‘92, ‘98, ‘01).
* The Vikings have finished with a .500 record or better 40 times in the team’s 53 preseasons.
* In the 40 previous preseasons when the Vikings have finished at .500 or better, the team has gone on to finish at .500 or better 31 times in the ensuing regular season.
* In the 13 preseasons when the Vikings have finished below .500, the team has gone on to finish below .500 seven times in the ensuing regular season.
VIKINGS-CHIEFS SERIES NOTES
• The Vikings and Chiefs have played 15 times during the preseason with the Vikings holding an 8-7 series lead.
• The Chiefs own the advantage in the regular season series. The teams have met 11 previous times in the regular season with Kansas City holding an edge at 7-4-0.
• The last time Minnesota and Kansas City met in the preseason was on 8/21/09, a 17-13 Vikings victory.
• The Vikings faced the Chiefs in their first Super Bowl appearance, Super Bowl IV on Jan. 11, 1970, with Kansas City earning the 7-2 win.
• Minnesota is 1-4 in regular season road contests in Kansas City.
• The Vikings and Chiefs have played two preseason games at a neutral site, including a 17-9 Vikings win in Tokyo, Japan on 8/7/94 and a 23-13 Minnesota victory in Memphis, TN, on 8/12/89.
• The last time the Chiefs and Vikings met in the preseason was in 2009, a 17-13 Vikings victory. There were nine current Vikings that appeared in that game, including DE
VIKINGS BIG DAYS VS. CHIEFS
* RB Adrian Peterson rushed for 102 yards on 25 carries and 1 touchdown with a 4.1 yard per rush average in the third game of his career on 9/23/07.
• Vikings Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer held the same position with Kansas City from 2006-08.
• Chiefs Special Project Manager Brad Childress was the Vikings Head Coach from 2006-2010.
• Kansas City Running Backs Coach Eric Bieniemy held the same position in Minnesota from 2006-2010.
• Vikings Linebackers Coach Adam Zimmer was the Assistant Linebackers Coach/Defensive Assistant for the Chiefs from 2010-2012.
• Vikings QB Matt Cassel played for the Chiefs from 2009-2012 before joining the Vikings.
• Chiefs S Husain Abdullah started his career with the Vikings from 2008- 11 and joined the Chiefs secondary in 2013, following a one-year break from football.
• Chiefs Defensive Backs Coach Emmitt Thomas was the defensive coordinator for the Vikings from 2000-2001.
• Vikings Assistant Offensive line coach Hank Fraley played under Chiefs Head Coach Andy Reid in Philadelphia from 2000-2005.
• Chiefs Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs held the same position in Dallas from 2002-2005 when Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer served as the team’s defensive coordinator.
• Vikings Offensive Coordinator Norv Turner was the head coach in Washington when Chiefs Offensive Line Coach Andy Heck was a guard on the team’s offensive line.
• Vikings C John Sullivan was linemates with Kansas City OT and St. Paul, MN, native, Ryan Harris at Notre Dame from 2003-2006.
• Chiefs TE Anthony Fasano played at Notre Dame from 2002-2005 and was teammates with Sullivan and Harris.
• Vikings WR
• Vikings CB