WEEK 2 • SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2013 - NOON CT
The Minnesota Vikings hit the road for the 2nd straight week against a divisional opponent when they meet the Chicago Bears on Sunday, September 15 at Soldier Field. The Vikings are coming off a 24-34 loss at Detroit in Week 1, while the Bears defeated the Bengals, 24-21, at home during the kickoff weekend.
The Week 2 matchup against the Bears is the earliest meeting between the clubs since 2002 when the Vikings opened up the season against the Bears in Champaign. The Vikings and Bears split the season series in 2012 with each squad winning on their home field.
Bears 1st year head coach Marc Trestman is a Minnesota native growing up in Minneapolis. Trestman graduated from St. Louis Park HS in 1974 and played QB at the University of Minnesota before transferring to Minnesota State Moorhead as a senior. In 1985, Trestman got his first coaching experience in the NFL in Minnesota, under Hall of Fame coach Bud Grant as the RBs coach for the Vikings, a position he held for two seasons. Trestman rejoined the Vikings in 1990 as QBs coach, working two seasons with QB Rich Gannon.
TELEVISION: FOX (Channel 9 in the Twin Cities)
Play-By-Play: Thom Brennaman Analyst: Brian Billick
Sideline Reporter: Laura Okmin
RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3/KTCN-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman
Pre-Game Show: Mike Mussman – 10:00 a.m. CT
KFAN and KTCN serve as the flagship stations for the 72-station, 5-state Vikings Radio Network.
STAT OF THE WEEK
• Vikings rookie CB
• Minnesota has started the same 5 offensive lineman in 18 straight games, including playoffs.
• In his 1st start at MLB,
• Peterson is 58 yards shy of becoming the 32nd player in NFL history to have 9,000 rushing yards.
• The Vikings had 5 rookies who saw action during Week 1: DT
• Peterson moved past Tony Dorsett and into a tie with Ricky Watters for 19th in NFL all-time career rushing TDs with 78 TDs.
• On October 14, 2007, then-rookie Adrian Peterson ran for 224 yards at Chicago, the most allowed by the Bears all-time. The 224 rushing yards were a franchise record until Peterson ran for an NFL record 296 yards 3 weeks later.
• Peterson rushed for a 78-yard TD on his 1st carry of the season. That is the longest TD run on a player’s first carry of a season since the 1970 merger.
• Vikings WR
• Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier (1981-86) and Assistant Head Coach/ LB Coach Mike Singletary (1981-92) both played for the Bears and helped bring Chicago their only Super Bowl title in 1985.
• Vikings LB Coach Fred Pagac played TE for the Bears in 1974.
• Vikings GM Rick Spielman served as the Bears Director of Pro Personnel from 1997-99. Vikings Assistant General Manager George Paton also served on the Bears staff alongside Spielman.
• Vikings Head Athletic Trainer Eric Sugarman was an assistant athletic trainer for the Bears from 1997-99.
• Vikings T J’Marcus Webb spent his 1st 3 years with the Chicago Bears and started 44 games at T.
• Isaiah Harris, the Bears Director of Player Development, grew up in Brooklyn Park, Minn. Prior to joining the Bears, Harris served as the Vikings Player Development Assistant (2005-07). He also spent time as an operations intern with the Vikings, over two stints in Minnesota (2000- 02; 04-05), surrounding being signed as a free agent linebacker (2003) with the Atlanta Falcons. Harris played at St. Cloud State in Minnesota from 1997-2001.
• Bears GM Phil Emery and Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave worked together in Atlanta from 2006-08. Emery also spent time at the U.S. Naval Academy with Vikings Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer from 1994-96.
• Bears WR Brandon Marshall and LB DJ Williams were both in Denver with Priefer.
• Vikings DE
• Vikings DT Sharrif Floyd and Bears LB Jon Bostic were teammates at the University of Florida from 2010-12.
VIKINGS BIG DAYS VS. BEARS
• DE Jared Allen recorded 3.5 sacks against the Bears in the 2011 season finale, giving him 22.0 sacks on the season and breaking the previous Vikings single-season sack record of 21.0 held by Hall of Famer DE Chris Doleman.
• In Week 6 of his rookie season in 2007, RB Adrian Peterson rushed for 224 yards against the Bears, the second-highest rushing yardage total of his career. In addition, Peterson rushed for 3 TDs in a Vikings 34-31 win over their Division rivals.
• WR Greg Jennings hauled in 8 receptions for 130 yards helping the Green Bay Packers beat Chicago on 1/23/11 in the NFC Championship Game. LB Desmond Bishop recorded 8 tackles in the game.
VIKINGS-BEARS SERIES NOTES
• The Vikings and Bears have played 104 times overall with Minnesota holding a 53-49-2 series record.
• The last time the Vikings and Bears met was in Week 14 of the 2012 season at Mall of America Field, a Vikings 21-14 victory.
• This will be the fifth regular season meeting between Minnesota and Chicago since Leslie Frazier became head coach of the Vikings. His record is 1-3 against the Bears.
• The Vikings and Bears have played four overtime games in series history, with Minnesota holding a 3-1 advantage in those games.
• The Vikings are currently 21-28-2 when visiting the Bears. The Bears won 28-10 in the last contest between the teams at Soldier Field on 11/25/12.
A WIN WOULD...
• Give QB
• Give the Vikings back-to-backs win against Chicago for the first time since the 2008-09 seasons.
• Improve Minnesota’s record to 54-49-2 in the overall series.
• Give the Vikings their first win at Chicago since 10/14/2007.