PRESEASON WEEK THREE - MINNESOTA VIKINGS AT SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
SUNDAY, AUGUST 25, 2013 - CANDLESTICK PARK - 7:00 p.m. CT - NBC
Head Coach Leslie Frazier and the Minnesota Vikings (10-6 in 2012) travel to San Francisco for their third preseason game against the San Francisco 49ers (11-4-1 in 2012) this Sunday, August 25. Kickoff at Candlestick Park is set for 7:00 p.m. CT. The game will be nationally televised by NBC.
Sunday’s game will mark the third preseason game of Frazier’s third season as a head coach. It will be the 8th time the Vikings have met the 49ers in the preseason. The Vikings are 3-4 in preseason games and 22-22-1 in regular season play against San Francisco. This will be the team’s third time traveling to San Francisco during the preseason.
Next Thursday the Vikings will host the Tennessee Titans at Mall of America Field, while the 49ers will head to San Diego to wrap up their preseason against the Chargers.
The Vikings added 32 new faces to the roster since the conclusion of the 2012 season. Along with 9 draft picks, the Vikings signed
TELEVISION: Nationally on NBC , Locally on KARE 11
Play-By-Play: Al Michaels Analyst: Cris Collinsworth
Sideline Reporter: Michele Tafoya
Other Midwest affiliates airing the game include: WKBT – LaCrosse, WI ... KGAN – Cedar Rapids, IA KETV – Omaha, NE ... KNDX – Bismarck, ND ... KOTA – Rapid City, SD ... KPTH – Sioux City, IA ... WDIO – Duluth, MN ... KVRR – Fargo, ND ... KSFY – Sioux Falls, SD ... WISC – Madison, WI ... KCCI – Des Moines, IA ... WHBF – Rock Island, IL (Quad Cities) ... KTTC – Rochester, MN.
RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3/KTCN-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman / Ben Leber
Pre-Game Show: Mike Mussman – 6:00 p.m. CST
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 72-station, 5-state Vikings Radio Network.
VIKINGS IN THE PRESEASON
* The Vikings have a combined record of 139-95-3 (.595) in their 237 preseason games.
* The team has finished undefeated in the preseason 6 times (1964, ‘65, ‘73, ‘92, ‘98, ‘01).
* The Vikings have finished with a .500 record or better 40 times in the team’s 52 preseasons.
* In the 40 previous preseasons when the Vikings have finished at .500 or better, the team has gone on to finish at .500 or better 31 times in the ensuing regular season.
* In the 12 preseasons when the Vikings have finished below .500, the team has gone on to finish below .500 six times in the ensuing regular season.
* Head Coach Leslie Frazier has a 3-7 preseason record and will coach in his second preseason game against the 49ers.
VIKINGS BIG DAYS VS. 49ERS
VIKINGS VS. 49ERS SERIES NOTES
• The Vikings and 49ers have played seven times during the preseason with the 49ers holding a 4-3 advantage.
• The Vikings and 49ers have split the regular season series. The teams have met 45 previous times in the regular season with the series all squared 22-22-1.
• The Vikings and 49ers have met 5 times during the postseason. San Francisco holds a 4-1 series lead in the 5 times that they have met in the NFC Divisional Playoffs.
• The last time the Vikings and 49ers met in the preseason was on 8/10/12, a 17-6 49ers victory.
• This will be the second meeting between Minnesota and San Francisco since Leslie Frazier became head coach of the Vikings. Frazier is 0-1 in the preseason and 1-0 in the regular season against the 49ers.
• The Vikings and 49ers played their first four preseason games against each other at neutral sites. In 1961 and 1963, the two played in Portland, Ore., in 1962 they played in Seattle, Wash., and in 1964 they met in Salt Lake City, Utah.
• Vikings Assistant Head Coach Mike Singletary served as the 49ers Assistant Head Coach/Defense before taking over as head coach for the final 9 games of the 2008 season. Singletary also served as the 49ers head coach during the 2009-2010 seasons.
• Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave played QB for the 49ers from 1991-94 and served as the backup to Hall of Famers Joe Montana and Steve Young. Musgrave was a member of the 49ers that won Super Bowl XXIX.
• Vikings WR coach George Stewart served in the same capacity for the 49ers from 1996-2002. Stewart went to 3 NFC Championships during that time.
• Vikings QB
• Viking Personnel Consultant Paul Wiggin started his coaching career in 1968 tutoring the 49ers defensive line
• Vikings FB/TE
• 49ers GM Trent Baalke attended Bemidji State in Minnesota where he played LB, receiving All-Northern Sun Conference honors.
• 49ers Regional Scout Scott Brown coached 4 seasons at the University of Minnesota where he led the defensive line from 1992-94 and the linebackers in 1995.
• 49ers T Carter Bykowski grew up in Eden Prairie, MN and played high school football at Eden Prairie High School.
• 49ersrookie TE MarQueisGray played 4 years at the University of Minnesota.
• Mike Singletary and Jim Harbaugh were teammates with the Chicago Bears from 1987-92.
• Bill Musgrave and 49ers secondary coach Ed Donatell coached together in Atlanta in 2006 when Musgrave served as the team’s offensive coordinator and Donatell served as the team’s defensive coordinator.
• Vikings RB
• Vikings CB
• 49ers LS Kevin McDermott served as Vikings P