The Minnesota Vikings (3-0) will close out the 2009 preseason at home against the Dallas Cowboys (1-2) this Friday, September 4. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m.
Friday’s game will mark the 4th consecutive season the Vikings have played the final exhibition game against the Cowboys, finishing the 2006, 2007 and 2008 preseasons with games against Dallas. Overall, the Vikings have played the Cowboys 10 times in the preseason and currently hold a 5-4-1 record in those games. The one tie came at Dallas in Head Coach Brad Childress’ first year in 2006, when the game ended knotted at 10.
Next Sunday, September 13, the Vikings will open the 2009 regular season at the Cleveland Browns, while the Cowboys will head to Tampa Bay to face the Buccaneers.
Vikings in the Preseason
- The Vikings have a combined record of 133-86-3 (.606) in their 222 preseason games.
- The team has finished undefeated in the preseason 6 times (1964, ‘65, ‘73, ‘92, ‘98, ‘01).
- The last time the Vikings started the preseason 3-0 was in 2001. With the win last week, the Vikings improved their 3rd preseason week record to 33-16, the best of the 4 weeks.
- With the 3-0 start this preseason, the Vikings will finish at .500 or better for the 38th time in the team’s 49 preseasons.
- In the 37 previous preseasons when the Vikings have finished at .500 or better, the team has gone on to finish at .500 or better 30 times in the ensuing regular season.
- In the 11 preseasons when the Vikings have finished below .500, the team has gone on to finish below .500 six times in the ensuing regular season.
- Head Coach Brad Childress currently has a 8-6-1 record in the preseason.
TV: KSTP Channel 5 in the Twin Cities
Play-By-Play: Ari Wolfe Analysts: Mike Mayock
Sideline Reporter: Ann Carroll
RADIO: KFAN-AM 1130/KTLK 100.3-FM
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman
Pre-Game Show: 5:00 p.m. CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 74-station, 6-state Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. Click here to view all stations on the Vikings Radio Network.
What To Watch For
- With a win, the Vikings will finish 4-0 in the preseason for only the 7th time in team history.
- The Vikings are the only team that has not turned the ball over through the first 3 preseason games. In team history, the previous long for Vikings preseason games without a turnover was 2 (1969, 1992 and 2006).
- The Vikings defense currently ranks #1 overall and #1 against the pass in the preseason.
- The Vikings have allowed just 26 points thus far in the preseason (8.6 per game), which is the lowest among all teams. The Vikings have given up just 2 TDs in 3 games.
- The Vikings defense has 10 sacks through the first 3 exhibition games in 2009, which is tied for the 4th-most. Three teams have 11 this year.
- The Vikings rank in the NFC’s top 10 in 15 of the 17 offensive stats and 17 of the 19 def. stats.
- The Vikings offense is currently averaging 354.3 yards per game in the first 3 preseason games, nearly 100 yards more than the team’s 261.3 yard average in the 2008 preseason.
- The Vikings have rushed for 471 yards thus far in 2009 (157.0 avg.) after finishing the 2008 preseason campaign with 317 total rushing yards. The 471 yards is the 3rd-most in the NFL.
Vikings Big Days vs. Texans
- DE Jared Allen posted 2.0 sacks to go along with 5 tackles against the Cowboys as a member of the Kansas City Chiefs on 12/11/05.
- QB Brett Favre has posted passer ratings over 100.0 in 3 of his 8 career regular season games vs. the Cowboys. On 11/24/94, Favre completed 27-of-40 passes for 257 yards and 4 TDs for a passer rating of 118.4. On 11/23/97, Favre completed 22-of-35 passes for 203 yards and 4 TDs and a rating of 104.8. Most recently in 2004,
Favre completed 23-of-29 passes for 258 yards and 2 TDs for a rating of 126.7.
- Favre also recorded a career-high 2 rushing TDs when the teams met on 10/8/95.
- In the 1995 Divisional Playoff game vs. the Cowboys, Favre threw for 307 yards and 3 TDs, including a 73-yard strike.
- CB Cedric Griffin returned a fumble 28 yards for a touchdown when the teams met in the regular season on 10/2/07.
- LB E.J. Henderson led the Vikings with 14 tackles when the teams met in the regular season on 10/2/07.
- LB Ben Leber recorded 8 tackles and recovered a fumble that he lateraled to Griffin for a 50-yard score when the teams last met in Dallas during the regular season on 10/21/07.
- RB Adrian Peterson gained 63 yards on the ground on 12 carries
and had a 20-yard TD run when the team’s last met in the regular season on 10/21/07.
- DT Kevin Williams had a sack on Tony Romo and recovered a fumble when the teams last met in the regular season on 10/21/07.
Last Time vs. Cowboys
The last time the Vikings and Cowboys met during the regular season was on October 21, 2007, at Texas Stadium, a game the Cowboys won 24-14. Offensively the Vikings were led on the ground by RBs Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor. Rushing 12 times for 63 yards and a 20-yard touchdown, Peterson led all running backs on the day with a 5.3 average while Taylor carried the ball 10 times for 47 yards (4.7 avg.). In the passing game, QB Tarvaris Jackson completed 6-of-19 passes for 72 yards and no touchdowns. Taylor was Jackson’s main target, catching 3 balls for 19 yards.
On defense, LB E.J. Henderson led the Vikings with 14 tackles, while CB Antoine Winfield collected 10 and LB Chad Greenway 11. The Vikings defense was also able to score one of the team’s two touchdowns on the day. In the second quarter LB Ben Leber picked up a fumble caused by Winfield and returned it 10 yards before lateraling to CB Cedric Griffin, who returned the ball the final 50 yards for a touchdown. The Vikings also sacked Cowboys signal-caller Tony Romo on 3 occasions. DE Kenechi Udeze and DT Kevin Williams each recorded 1.0 sack, while DEs Brian Robison and Ray Edwards split the third.
On special teams, Peterson returned 3 kicks for 65 yards, while WR Bobby Wade took back 1 punt for 11 yards. K Ryan Longwell converted both his PATs, but had a 48-yard FG blocked and returned for a touchdown.
Series Notes vs. Cowboys
- The Vikings first preseason game in the history of the franchise was against Dallas at Sioux Falls, SD, a game the Vikings lost 38-13.
- The Vikings have finished the last 4 preseasons (2006-2009) with games against Dallas. Minnesota has finished 1-1-1 in the previous 3 years, with the tie coming in Coach Childress’ first year in 2006.
- The Vikings are 12-14-0 against the Cowboys all-time in the regular season, including 5-9 at home and 7-5 away.
- The Vikings have played the Cowboys 6 times in the playoffs – twice in NFC Wild Card games, twice in NFC Divisional Playoff games and twice in NFC Championship games.
- The Vikings have won 5 of the last 6 games between the 2 teams.