In the 3rd meeting between the Minnesota Vikings (10-6) and the Green Bay Packers (11-5) in 5 weeks, the two rivals will face off in the Wild Card round of the NFL Playoff s at Lambeau Field on January 5. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m (CT). The Vikings and Packers split the regular season series with each team winning on their home fi eld. The Vikings Adrian Peterson set a team record for rushing yards in a season against a single opponent with 409 yards in the 2012 regular season against the Packers.
The Border Battle takes to the postseason for only the 2nd time in history. The lone matchup between the 2 teams came in the 2004 NFC Wild Card game when the Vikings defeated the Packers at Green Bay 31-17.
The 2012 postseason marks the 27th playoff season for the Vikings and Saturday’s game will be the team’s 46th playoff game in franchise history. The Vikings have a combined 19-26 (.422) postseason record and their 45 playoff games are the 3rd most all time.
Vikings-Packers Gameday Page
Click here to visit the Vikings-Packers gameday page on vikings.com. Here you'll be able to track the game live as it happens with live scoring plus stats and info. Additionally, chat live with vikings.com's Mike Wobschall and other Vikings fans as the game is happening.
Game Press Release
TV: KARE 11 / NBC
Play-By-Play: Al Michaels Analyst: Chris Collinsworth
Sideline Reporter: Michele Tafoya
RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3 / KTLK-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporters: Greg Coleman & Ben Leber
Pre-Game Show: 1 PM CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 74-station, 6-state Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. Click here to view all stations on the Vikings Radio Network.
• Vikings RB Adrian Peterson ranked 2nd in NFL history and led the NFL in 2012 with 2,097 rushing yards. Peterson’s rushing total ranked better than 24 NFL teams in 2012.
• With 2,634 rushing yards as a team, the Vikings tied a franchise record set in 2007 for team rushing yards in a season. The Vikings also set a new team record with 5.4 yards per carry.
• With a +7 differential, the Vikings had their biggest jump in win totals from 1 season to the next in 2012 going from 3 to 10 wins. From 1997 to 1998, the Vikings increased their wins +6.
• Vikings K Blair Walsh set a new NFL record with 10 FGs of 50+ yards in a single season.
• Harrison Smith and Matt Kalil started all 16 games as rookie 1st-round draft picks.
• Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph tied for 2nd in the League among all TEs with 9 TD catches and was 2nd in Vikings history for TDs by a TE in a season, trailing Visanthe Shiancoe’s 11 set in 2009.
• The Vikings started the same 5 offensive lineman in all 16 games this season. That group has helped Peterson to the 2nd-best single season rushing mark in NFL history.
• DE Jared Allen recorded 10+ sacks for the 6th straight season and the 7th time in his 9-year career.
• The Vikings rank 1st in the NFL with 33 runs of 20+ yards and 7 runs of 50+ yards.
• LB Chad Greenway has set a new career high in tackles. Greenway has led the team in tackles 5 years in a row, which is 2nd only to Scott Studwell’s 6 straight seasons.
• The Vikings went 10-6 in 2012, the 16th time in franchise history posting 10+ wins.
• The Vikings are 1 of 4 teams in the 2012 playoff field that were not in the 2011 tournament.
• The Vikings have 3 players who were with the club in the 2004 Wild Card game at Green Bay- DT Kevin Williams, CB Antoine Winfield and LS Cullen Loeffler.
• The Vikings had 4 players earn Pro Bowl honors- RB Adrian Peterson, DE Jared Allen, FB Jerome Felton and K Blair Walsh.
Vikings Big Days vs. Packers
• DE Jared Allen set a career-high with 4.5 sacks against the Packers on Monday Night Football on 10/5/09 in a Vikings 30-23 win.
• DE Everson Griffen recorded 4 tackles and a career-high 3.0 sacks vs. the Packers on 12/30/12
• Vikings CB Antoine Winfield was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Week for the Wild Card playoff game at Green Bay on 1/9/05 after recording an interception and 11 tackles.
• RB Adrian Peterson rushed for 192 yards against the Packers on 11/9/08, the third-highest rushing total of his career. He also added a rushing TD, helping the Vikings to a 28-27 win.
• RB Adrian Peterson ran for 210 yards, including a career long 82-yard TD run, on 21 carries during Week 13 of the 2012 season. Peterson also ran for 199 yards on a career-high 34 attempts vs. the Packers in Week 17 of the 2012 regular season. Peterson eclipsed the 2,000-yard mark in that game.
Vikings vs. Packers Series Notes
• The Vikings and Packers have matched up only once in the playoff s. In 2004, the Vikings handed the Packers a 31-17 loss at Lambeau Field.
• The Vikings and Packers have played 104 times overall with Green Bay holding a 54-49-1 series record.
• The last time the Vikings and Packers met was in Week 17 of the 2012 season at Mall of America Field, a Vikings 37-34 win.
• This will be the 5th meeting between Minnesota and Green Bay since Leslie Frazier became head coach of the Vikings. His record is 0-2 against the Packers.
• The Vikings and Packers have played six overtime games in series history, with Minnesota holding a 4-1-1 advantage in those games.
A Win Would...
• Give the Vikings their 1st playoff win since 2009
• Improve the Vikings record against the NFC to 346-274-9 all time.
• Improve the Vikings record against the NFC North to 170-135-4 all time.
• Improve Minnesota’s record to 50-53-1 in the overall series with the Packers.
• Give Leslie Frazier his 2nd win over the Packers as Vikings head coach.
VIKINGS- PACKERS CONNECTIONS
• Packers VP of Football Administration/Player Finance Russ Ball spent time with the Vikings from 1999-2000 as the Senior Football Administrator.
• Packers VP of Sales and Marketing Tim Connolly served 2 seasons as the Vikings Executive VP and GM from 1998-99.
• Packers Area Scout Lee Gissendaner went to training camp with the Vikings and spent parts of the 1996 season on Minnesota’s practice squad.
• Packers LB Robert Francois signed with the Vikings as an undrafted free agent in 2009 and spent part of the preseason with the Vikings. Was released by Minnesota to make room for the Brett Favre signing.
• Packers Assistant OL Coach Joel Hilgenberg’s uncle, Wally, played LB for the Vikings from 1967-79.
• Vikings Assistant DL Coach Diron Reynolds’ brother, Jamal, was a 1st round pick for the Green Bay Packers in 2001. Jamal played from 2001- 03 with the Packers.
• Packers Director of College Scouting Brian Gutekunst’s father was the head coach for the University of Minnesota from 1985-92.
• Packers Director of Research and Development Mike Eayrs spent 16 seasons with the Minnesota Vikings as the Director of Research and Development. Eayrs, who was born in West Concord, Minn., holds a bachelor’s degree from Augsburg College in Minneapolis and a master’s degree from the University of South Dakota. Eayrs spent time coaching in Winnebago, Minn. and at Minnesota State, Mankato.
• Vikings Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer graduated from high school in Green Bay while his dad coached for the Packers.
• Packers C Jeff Saturday (1999-2011) played in Indianapolis with Vikings G Charlie Johnson (2006-10). Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier (2005- 06), Defensive Coordinator Alan Williams (2002-11) and Assistant DL Coach Diron Reynolds (2002-06) all coached in Indianapolis during Saturday’s tenure.
• Packers Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers coached with Vikings Assistant DL Coach Diron Reynolds with the Miami Dolphins in 2007.
• Packers DL Coach Mike Trgovak coached for the Philadelphia Eagles while Vikings RB Coach James Saxon played his final season in the NFL for the Eagles in 1995.
• Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave and WR Michael Jenkins were with the Atlanta Falcons with Packers Secondary Coach Joe Whitt Jr. in 2007.
• Packers Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers coached with Vikings LB Coach Fred Pagac at Ohio State from 1982-83.
• Vikings LB Audie Cole and Packers LB Terrell Manning played together from 2008-11 at NC State.
• Packers LB Clay Matthews and Vikings DE Everson Griffen, T Matt Kalil and TE Rhett Ellison were teammates at USC.
• Packers DT Ryan Pickett and Vikings CB Antoine Winfield played together in 1998 at Ohio State while Vikings LB coach Fred Pagac served as the team’s Defensive Coordinator.
• Vikings WR Jarius Wright and Packers TE D.J. Williams were teammates at Arkansas from 2007-10.