The Minnesota Vikings (9-6) meet the Green Bay Packers (11-4) Sunday, December 30, at Mall of America Field in the 104th meeting between the two clubs. With a win, the Vikings would secure a playoff berth for the 1st time since 2009. The Vikings, who are 6-1 at home, have a chance to match the ‘88 and ‘00 seasons with a 7-1 record. The Vikings went undefeated at home in ‘89, ‘98, ‘09. With 9 wins in 2012, Minnesota has matched the largest jump in wins in franchise history from 1 year to the next after winning 3 games in 2011. From 1997 to 1998, the Vikings increased their win total by 6 games going from 9 wins to 15 wins.
In the Week 13 Border Battle, the Packers outlasted the Vikings 23-14. Adrian Peterson ran for 1 of 2 200-yard performances of the 2012 season at Green Bay. Peterson had 210 yards, including a career long 82-yard TD.
Vikings-Packers Gameday Page
Click here to visit the Vikings-Packers gameday page on vikings.com. Here you'll be able to track the game live as it happens with live scoring plus stats and info. Additionally, chat live with vikings.com's Mike Wobschall and other Vikings fans as the game is happening.
Game Press Release
TV: KMSP 9 / FOX
Play-By-Play: Joe Buck Analyst: Troy Aikman
Sideline Reporter: Pam Oliver
RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3 / KTLK-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporters: Greg Coleman & Ben Leber
Pre-Game Show: 1 PM CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 74-station, 6-state Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. Click here to view all stations on the Vikings Radio Network.
• Vikings RB Adrian Peterson leads the NFL with 1,898 rushing yards and is tied for 2nd with 11 TDs. Peterson owns the team record and leads the League in yards from scrimmage with 2,023, more than 221 yards than the next highest in 2012. Peterson’s 7 runs of 50+ yards are tied for the most in NFL history in a single season with Barry Sanders in 1997.
• With 2,417 rushing yards as a team, the Vikings rank 3rd in team history and are 217 rushing yards away from setting the franchise record (2,634) set in 2007 for team rushing yards in a season. The Vikings are also on pace to set a team record with a 5.4 yards per carry average.
• Vikings S Harrison Smith set the team rookie record for starts by a safety with his 15th start of the season against the Texans. Smith is also tied for the Vikings rookie record with 2 INT return TDs. Smith’s 92 tackles ranks 5th all-time among safeties in team history.
• With another win in 2012, the Vikings will have their biggest jump in win totals from 1 season to the next. The Vikings are currently tied for 1st with 6 more wins ahead of last season’s total of 3. From 1997 to 1998, the Vikings increased their win total by 6 wins (9-7 to 15-1).
• Vikings K Blair Walsh currently ranks 1st in NFL history with 9 50+ yard FGs in a single season. Against St. Louis (12/16), Walsh made 3 50+ yard FGs (50, 53, 51), which is tied for the most in League history. Walsh is also 4th in the League with 49 kickoff touchbacks, which is the Vikings franchise record for touchbacks in a season (previously 40). Walsh’s 32 FGs made this season is closing in on the Vikings record of 35, set by Gary Anderson in 1998.
• With starts in Week 17, Harrison Smith and Matt Kalil will become the 1st pair of Vikings rookies to start all 16 games since Todd Steussie and Dewayne Washing did so in 1994.
• Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph is 2nd in the League among all TEs with 9 TD catches and is 2nd in Vikings history for TDs by a TE in a season, trailing Visanthe Shiancoe’s 11 set in 2009.
• The Vikings have started the same 5 offensive lineman in all 15 games this season. That group has helped Peterson rush for his best season total of his career 3rd highest rushing total as a team in franchise history.
• DE Jared Allen recorded 10+ sacks for the 6th straight season and the 7th time in his 9-year career.
• DE Everson Griffen has the longest INT return by a defensive lineman in 2012 with a 29- yard return for a TD against St. Louis (12/16), which is the 5th longest by a Viking lineman.
• The Vikings rank 1st in the NFL with 29 runs of 20+ yards and 7 runs of 50+ yards.
• According to coaches stats, corrected stats, LB Chad Greenway has set a new career high in tackles with 181. Following Sunday’s game, Greenway will have led the team in tackles 5 years in a row, which is 2nd to Scott Studwell, who did it 6 consecutive years.
• Since 2008, the Vikings and Packers have accounted for 4 of the 5 NFC North Titles.
Vikings Big Days vs. Packers
• DE Jared Allen set a career-high with 4.5 sacks against the Packers on Monday Night Football on 10/5/09 in a Vikings 30-23 win.
• WR Michael Jenkins set a career-high with 111 receiving yards and also added a TD against Green Bay on 10/23/2011
• Vikings CB Antoine Winfield was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Week for the Wild Card playoff game at Green Bay on 1/9/05 after recording an interception and 11 tackles.
• RB Adrian Peterson rushed for 192 yards against the Packers on 11/9/08, the third-highest rushing total of his career. He also added a rushing TD, helping the Vikings to a 28-27 win.
• RB Adrian Peterson ran for 210 yards, including a career long 82-yard TD run, on 21 carries during Week 13 of the 2012 season.
Vikings vs. Packers Series Notes
• The Vikings and Packers have played 103 times overall with Green Bay holding a 54-48-1 series record.
• The last time the Vikings and Packers met was in Week 13 of the 2012 season at Lambeau Field, a Packers 23-14 win.
• The Vikings and Packers have matched up only once in the playoff s. In 2004, the Vikings handed the Packers a 31-17 loss at Lambeau Field.
• This will be the third regular season meeting between Minnesota and Green Bay since Leslie Frazier became head coach of the Vikings. His record is 0-2 against the Packers.
• The Vikings and Packers have played six overtime games in series history, with Minnesota holding a 4-1-1 advantage in those games.
• The Vikings are currently 23-28-1 when visiting the Packers. The Packers won 33-27 in the last contest between the teams at Mall of America Field in 2011.
A Win Would...
• Improve the Vikings record against the NFC to 345-274-9 all time.
• Improve the Vikings record against the NFC North to 169-135-4 all time.
• Improve Minnesota’s record to 49-53-1 in the overall series with the Packers.
• Give Leslie Frazier his 1st win over the Packers as Vikings head coach.
• Give the Vikings their first win over the Packers since 2009.
• Give the Vikings their first win over the Packers at Mall of America Field since 2009.
VIKINGS- PACKERS CONNECTIONS
• Packers VP of Football Administration/Player Finance Russ Ball spent time with the Vikings from 1999-2000 as the Senior Football Administrator.
• Packers VP of Sales and Marketing Tim Connolly served 2 seasons as the Vikings Executive VP and GM from 1998-99.
• Packers Area Scout Lee Gissendaner went to training camp with the Vikings and spent parts of the 1996 season on Minnesota’s practice squad.
• Packers LB Robert Francois signed with the Vikings as an undrafted free agent in 2009 and spent part of the preseason with the Vikings. Was released by Minnesota to make room for the Brett Favre signing.
• Packers Assistant OL Coach Joel Hilgenberg’s uncle, Wally, played LB for the Vikings from 1967-79.
• Vikings Assistant DL Coach Diron Reynolds’ brother, Jamal, was a 1st round pick for the Green Bay Packers in 2001. Jamal played from 2001- 03 with the Packers.
• Packers Director of College Scouting Brian Gutekunst’s father was the head coach for the University of Minnesota from 1985-92.
• Packers Director of Research and Development Mike Eayrs spent 16 seasons with the Minnesota Vikings as the Director of Research and Development. Eayrs, who was born in West Concord, Minn., holds a bachelor’s degree from Augsburg College in Minneapolis and a master’s degree from the University of South Dakota. Eayrs spent time coaching in Winnebago, Minn. and at Minnesota State, Mankato.
• Vikings Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer graduated from high school in Green Bay while his dad coached for the Packers.
• Packers C Jeff Saturday (1999-2011) played in Indianapolis with Vikings G Charlie Johnson (2006-10). Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier (2005- 06), Defensive Coordinator Alan Williams (2002-11) and Assistant DL Coach Diron Reynolds (2002-06) all coached in Indianapolis during Saturday’s tenure.
• Packers Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers coached with Vikings Assistant DL Coach Diron Reynolds with the Miami Dolphins in 2007.
• Packers DL Coach Mike Trgovak coached for the Philadelphia Eagles while Vikings RB Coach James Saxon played his final season in the NFL for the Eagles in 1995.
• Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave and WR Michael Jenkins were with the Atlanta Falcons with Packers Secondary Coach Joe Whitt Jr. in 2007.
• Packers Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers coached with Vikings LB Coach Fred Pagac at Ohio State from 1982-83.
• Vikings LB Audie Cole and Packers LB Terrell Manning played together from 2008-11 at NC State.
• Packers LB Clay Matthews and Vikings DE Everson Griffen, T Matt Kalil and TE Rhett Ellison were teammates at USC.
• Packers DT Ryan Pickett and Vikings CB Antoine Winfield played together in 1998 at Ohio State while Vikings LB coach Fred Pagac served as the team’s Defensive Coordinator.
• Vikings WR Jarius Wright and Packers TE D.J. Williams were teammates at Arkansas from 2007-10.