Minnesota Vikings (8-6) travel south to take on the Houston Texans (12-2) on December 23rd at Reliant Stadium. The Vikings, amidst a 2-game win streak, are looking to guarantee themselves an above .500 record after winning 3 games in 2011.
Adrian Peterson leads the NFL in rushing with 1,812 yards, more than 24 teams and 433 yards more than the next highest rusher. Peterson has team record 8 straight games with 100+ yards, including 2 games with 200+ yards.
This game is also a homecoming for 9 Vikings who hail from Texas, QB Christian Ponder (Colleyville), RB Adrian Peterson (Palestine), CB Brandon Burton (Houston), S Andrew Sendejo (San Antonio), LS Cullen Loeffl er (Ingram), T DeMarcus Love (Lancaster), G Charlie Johnson (Sherman), DE Brian Robison (Splendora) and practice squad RB Joe Banyard (Sweetwater). Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier’s son, Corey, and Texans head coach Gary Kubiak’s son, Klein, are teammates at Rice University. The 2 have played together since 2010. Corey plays safety, while Klein plays WR.
Vikings-Texans Gameday Page
Click here to visit the Vikings-Texans gameday page on vikings.com. Here you'll be able to track the game live as it happens with live scoring plus stats and info. Additionally, chat live with vikings.com's Mike Wobschall and other Vikings fans as the game is happening.
Game Press Release
TV: KMSP 9 / FOX
Play-By-Play: Chris Myers Analyst: Tim Ryan
Sideline Reporter: Jamie Maggio
RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3 / KTLK-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporters: Greg Coleman & Ben Leber
Pre-Game Show: 10 AM CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 74-station, 6-state Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. Click here to view all stations on the Vikings Radio Network.
• Vikings RB Adrian Peterson leads the NFL with 1,812 rushing yards and is tied for 2nd with 11 TDs. Peterson owns the team record and leads the League in yards from scrimmage with 2,023, more than 350 yards than the next highest in 2012. Peterson’s 7 runs of 50+ yards are tied for the most in NFL history in a single season with Barry Sanders in 1997.
• With 2,243 rushing yards as a team, the Vikings rank 8th in team history and are 391 rushing yards away from setting the franchise record (2,634) set in 2007 for team rushing yards in a season. The Vikings are also on pace to set a team record with a 5.5 yards per carry average.
• Vikings S Harrison Smith is tied for 5th in team history among rookies with 3 INTs. Smith will break the team rookie record for starts by a safety with his 15th start of the season against the Texans. Smith is also tied for the Vikings rookie record with 2 INT return TDs.
• With another win in 2012, the Vikings will match their biggest jump in win totals from 1 season to the next. The Vikings are currently tied for 2nd with 5 more wins ahead of last season’s total of 3. From 1997 to 1998, the Vikings increased their win total by 6 wins (9-7 to 15-1).
• The Vikings started 5 rookies, S Harrison Smith, CB Josh Robinson, T Matt Kalil, WR Jarius Wright and FB Rhett Ellison, against Chicago (12/9), which is the most in team history.
• Vikings K Blair Walsh is 1st in team history and 1 away from breaking the NFL record with 8 FG of 50+ yards in a season, surpassing Ryan Longwell’s 6 in 2008. Against St. Louis (12/16), Walsh made 3 50+ yard FGs (50, 53, 51) in a game for only the 2nd time this season (Phil Dawson @ BAL 9/27). Walsh is also 4th in the League with 47 kickoff touchbacks, which is the Vikings franchise record for touchbacks in a season (previously 40).
• Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph is tied for 2nd in the League among all TEs with 8 TD catches and is 2nd in Vikings history for TDs by a TE in a season, trailing Visanthe Shiancoe’s team record 11 set in 2009.
• The Vikings have started the same 5 offensive lineman in all 14 games this season. That group has helped Peterson rush for his best season total of his career with 2 games left and the 4th highest rushing total as a team in the NFL this season.
• DE Everson Griffen has the longest INT return by a defensive lineman in 2012 with a 29- yard return for a TD against St. Louis (12/16), which is the 5th longest by a Viking lineman.
• The Vikings rank 1st in the NFL with 24 runs of 20+ yards and 7 runs of 50+ yards.
• According to League stats, LB Chad Greenway is 1st in the NFL in tackles with 140 and he is tied for 1st in the NFL lead since 2007 with 10 fumble recoveries. Greenway has started the 2nd most consecutive games at LB with 68 straight starts, trailing only Redskins LB London Fletcher (194).
Vikings Big Days vs. Texans
• DE Jared Allen recorded 2 sacks and added 2 tackles against the Texans on 11/2/08 in his first season with the Vikings.
• WR Michael Jenkins caught a career-high 2 TD passes against the Texans as a member of the Atlanta Falcons on 9/30/07 in a Falcons 26- 16 victory.
• RB Adrian Peterson led the Vikings with 139 rushing yards against the Texans on 11/2/08, his only game against Houston. Peterson also scored a TD in a Vikings 28-21 win.
• CB Antoine Winfield recorded 6 tackles and 1 INT against the Texans on 11/2/08 in a Vikings 28-21 win. Winfield also had an INT against the Texans on 11/16/03 as a member of the Buffalo Bills.
Vikings vs. Texans Series Notes
• The Vikings and Texans have played 2 times overall with Minnesota holding a 2-0-0 series record.
• The last time the Vikings and Texans met was in Week 9 of the 2008 season, a 28-21 Vikings win.
• This will be the first regular season meeting between Minnesota and Houston since Leslie Frazier became head coach of the Vikings. Frazier was the defensive coordinator when the Vikings beat the Texans in their last matchup.
• The Vikings and Texans have played in 1 overtime game against each other, a Vikings 34-28 win in Week 5 of the 2004 season at Reliant Stadium, the first matchup between the two teams.
• The Vikings are currently 1-0-0 when visiting the Texans.
A Win Would...
• Improve the Vikings record against the AFC to 80-80-0 all time.
• Improve the Vikings record against the AFC South to 23-21-1 all time.
• Improve Minnesota’s record to 3-0-0 in the overall series with the Rams.
• Give Leslie Frazier his 1st win over the Texans in his first matchup against Houston as Vikings head coach.
• Give the Vikings their third-straight win over the Texans and second straight win at Reliant Stadium.
• Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier’s and Texans head coach Gary Kubiak’s sons are teammates at Rice University. Both head coaches are also former NFL players. Frazier played 6 seasons while Kubiak played 9 seasons.
• Texans head strength and conditioning coach Cedric Smith played FB for the Vikings in 1990 appearing in 15 games.
• Texans T Ryan Gardner spent time on the Vikings practice squad during the 2010 season.
• Vikings offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave played QB under Texans head coach Gary Kubiak for 1 season in San Francisco (1994) and 2 seasons in Denver (1995-96).
• Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer coached with Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison in Denver in 2009 when Priefer was the special teams coordinator and Dennison coached the offensive line.
• Vikings wide receivers coach George Stewart coached with Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips with the Atlanta Falcons in 2003 when Stewart coached the wide receivers and Phillips served as the defensive coordinator.
• Vikings defensive coordinator Alan Williams and Texans special teams coordinator Joe Marciano coached in Tampa Bay together in 2001 when Williams worked on the defensive staff and Marciano coached the special teams.
• Vikings offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave was Texans QB Matt Schaub’s quarterbacks coach in Atlanta in 2006.
• Vikings WR Michael Jenkins played with Texans QB Matt Schaub when the two were with the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06.
• Vikings TE John Carlson was teammates with Texans RB Justin Forsett with the Seattle Seahawks from 2008-11.
• The Vikings have 9 players that hail from Texas, QB Christian Ponder (Colleyville), RB Adrian Peterson (Palestine), CB Brandon Burton (Houston), S Andrew Sendejo (San Antonio), LS Cullen Loeffl er (Ingram), T DeMarcus Love (Lancaster), G Charlie Johnson (Sherman), DE Brian Robison (Splendora) and practice squad RB Joe Banyard (Sweetwater).
• The Vikings have 5 players who attended college in Texas, WR Stephen Burton (West Texas A&M), DT Fred Evans (Texas State), LS Cullen Loeffler (Texas), DE Brian Robison (Texas) and practice squad RB Joe Banyard (Texas-El Paso).
• Texans T Ryan Harris is a Minneapolis native. Harris attended Cretin Derham HS in St. Paul, Minn.
• Vikings DT Kevin Williams and Texans DE Antonio Smith played together on Oklahoma State’s defensive line in 2002.
• Vikings WR Stephen Burton played with Texans LB Bryan Braman at Long Beach City College and West Texas A&M.
• Texans FB James Casey and Vikings S Andrew Sendejo were teammates at Rice University.
• Vikings K Blair Walsh and Texans C Ben Jones spent their collegiate careers at Georgia as teammates from 2008-11.
• Vikings LB Marvin Mitchell and Texans RB Arian Foster played together at the University of Tennessee
• Texans T Ryan Harris was teammates with Vikings C John Sullivan and TE John Carlson from 2003-06 at Notre Dame.