The Minnesota Vikings (7-6) and the St. Louis Rams (6-6-1) will square off at the Edward Jones Dome on Sunday, December 16, 2012. It is the 1st matchup between the 2 playoff hopeful teams since 2009 when the Vikings defeated the Rams 38-10 in St. Louis.
Vikings RB Adrian Peterson is seeking his 8th consecutive game of 100+ yards after coming off a 154-yard performance on a career-high 31 rushing attempts in the win over the Bears. Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier and Vikings Special Assistant to the Head Coach/Linebackers Coach Mike Singletary played together with the Chicago Bears. All 3 joined the Chicago Bears in 1981 and played together through the 1985 Super Bowl season.
Vikings-Rams Gameday Page
Click here to visit the Vikings-Rams gameday page on vikings.com. Here you'll be able to track the game live as it happens with live scoring plus stats and info. Additionally, chat live with vikings.com's Mike Wobschall and other Vikings fans as the game is happening.
Game Press Release
TV: KMSP 9 / FOX
Play-By-Play: Gus Johnson Analyst: Charles Davis
Sideline Reporter: Kristina Pink
RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3 / KTLK-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporters: Greg Coleman & Ben Leber
Pre-Game Show: 10 AM CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 74-station, 6-state Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. Click here to view all stations on the Vikings Radio Network.
• Vikings RB Adrian Peterson leads the NFL with 1,600 rushing yards, more yards than 23 NFL teams and is tied for 2nd with 10 rushing TDs. Peterson has 7 consecutive games of 100+ yards for the 1st time in his career, which is the team record. Peterson also ranks 1st in the NFL in yards from scrimmage with 1,811.
• Vikings S Harrison Smith is tied for 5th in team history among rookies with 3 INTs. Smith has started all 13 games, 1 start shy of Chuck Lamson’s team record for starts among rookies safeties. Smith is also tied for the Vikings rookie record with 2 INT return TDs.
• Sunday’s game features 2 of the top-3 active career rushing leaders in Steven Jackson (9,929 yards) and Adrian Peterson (8,352 yards) ranking 1st and 3rd, respectively.
• The Vikings started 5 rookies, S Harrison Smith, CB Josh Robinson, T Matt Kalil, WR Jarius Wright and FB Rhett Ellison, against Chicago (12/9), which is the most in team history.
• Vikings K Blair Walsh is 5th in the League with 41 kickoff touchbacks, which is the Vikings franchise record for touchbacks in a season (previously 40). Walsh is also 2nd in team history with 5 FG of 50+ yards in a season, trailing Ryan Longwell’s 6 in 2008.
• Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph is tied for 2nd in the League among all TEs with 8 TD catches and is 2nd in Vikings history for TDs by a TE in a season, trailing Visanthe Shiancoe’s team record 11 set in 2009.
• The Vikings have started the same 5 offensive lineman in all 13 games this season. That group has helped Peterson rush for his 2nd-best season total of his career with 3 games left and the 3rd highest rushing total as a team in the NFL this season.
• DE Jared Allen has started 91 consecutive regular season games, most among all DEs.
• The Vikings rank 1st in the NFL with 22 runs of 20+ yards and 5 runs of 50+ yards.
• The Vikings, with an average start at the 25 yard line, rank 2nd in the NFL in average starting position following a kickoff.
• According to League stats, LB Chad Greenway is 2nd in the NFL in tackles with 126 and he is tied for the NFL lead since 2007 with 10 fumble recoveries. Greenway has started the 2nd most consecutive games at LB with 68 straight starts, trailing only Redskins LB London Fletcher (194).
• The Vikings rank 5th in the NFL in 1st down rushing defense allowing only 3.94 yards per rush.
• The Vikings have allowed only 13 kickoff returns of 20+ yards, which is tied for the fewest in the NFL.
Vikings Big Days vs. Rams
• DE Jared Allen recovered a fumble and returned it 52 yards for a touchdown in a Vikings victory over the Rams at the Edward Jones Dome on 10/11/09.
• TE John Carlson caught 6 passes for 95 yards, the second-highest total of his career, and a career-high 2 TDs against the Rams as a member of the Seattle Seahawks on 9/13/09.
• LB Chad Greenway tied for the team lead with 6 tackles and also forced a fumble against the Rams on 10/11/09.
• RB Adrian Peterson ran for 63 yards on 14 attempts, including 2 TDs in a Vikings 38-10 win over the Rams on 10/11/09.
Vikings vs. Rams Series Notes
• The Vikings and Rams have played 41 times overall with Minnesota holding a 23-16-2 series record.
• The last time the Vikings and Rams met was in Week 4 of the 2009 season, a 38-10 Vikings win.
• This will be the first regular season meeting between Minnesota and St. Louis since Leslie Frazier became head coach of the Vikings. Frazier was the defensive coordinator when the Vikings beat the Rams in their last matchup.
• The Vikings and Rams have played three overtime games in series history, with the teams splitting 1-1-1 in those contests.
• The Vikings are currently 9-13-0 when visiting the Rams. The Vikings won the last contest at the Edward Jones Dome 38-10 in Week 5 of the 2009 season.
A Win Would...
• Improve the Vikings record against the NFC to 346-275-9 all time.
• Improve the Vikings record against the NFC West to 65-45-3 all time.
• Improve Minnesota’s record to 24-16-2 in the overall series with the Rams.
• Give Leslie Frazier his 1st win over the Rams in his first matchup against St. Louis as Vikings head coach.
• Give the Vikings their second-straight win over the Rams at the Edward Jones Dome.
VIKINGS- RAMS CONNECTIONS
• Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier and Vikings Special Assistant to the Head Coach/Linebackers Coach Mike Singletary all joined the Chicago Bears in 1981 and played together through the 1985 Super Bowl season.
• St. Louis Rams WR Coach Ray Sherman spent 2 separate stints with the Vikings as the QB Coach from 1995-97 and the Offensive Coordinator in 1999.
• Rams Physical Therapist/Assistant Athletic Trainer Byron Cunningham spent the 2009 season with Vikings.
• Vikings VP of Legal Affairs and CAO Kevin Warren spent 1997-2001 with Rams. During his tenure with St. Louis, Warren served as VP of Football Administration in 2001 after work as VP of Player Programs and Football Legal Counsel from 1997-2000.
• Vikings DL Coach Brendan Daly served in the same role for the Rams from 2009-11.
• Vikings Area Scout Kevin McCabe spent 7 years as an Area Scout with the Rams from 1995-2001 as well as 1 year as a volunteer in the personnel department in 1994.
• Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher played in the same defensive backfield with Vikings great Joey Browner at USC.
• Rams LB James Laurinaitis is a Plymouth, Minn. native and attended Wayzata High School where he was named Minnestoa’s ‘Defensive Mr. Football’ as a senior when he led his team to the Class 5A state championship game.
• Rams Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Rock Gullickson hails from Moorhead, Minnesota and is a graduate of Moorhead State. Gullickson played G for the Dragons and earned All-Northern Sun Conference and AP DIII All-American honors in 1977.
• Rams S Craig Dahl is a Madison Lake, Minn. native and attended Mankato East High School.
• Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher and Vikings QB Coach Craig Johnson spent 10 years together in Tennessee from 2000-10.
• Rams QB Sam Bradford and Vikings RB Adrian Peterson were teammates at Oklahoma in 2006, along with T Phil Loadholt from 2007-08.
• Vikings G Geoff Schwartz played at Oregon with Rams QB Kellen Clemens from 2004-05.
• Vikings CB Chris Cook was teammates with three different Rams in his career at Virginia; DE Chris Long (2005-06), DT Matthew Conrath (2007, 09) and S Rodney McLeod (2009).
• Rams CB Bradley Fletcher played together with Vikings LB Chad Greenway in 2004 and 2005, and with Viking’s DT Christian Ballard and TE Allen Reisner from 2007-08.
• Vikings DT Chase Baker and Rams WR Austin Pettis were college teammates at Boise State from 2008-10.
• Rams S Darian Stewart played with Vikings LB Jasper Brinkley for three years at South Carolina from 2006-08.
• Vikings LB Marvin Mitchell and Rams C Scott Wells were teammates in 2002 and 2003 at Tennessee.
• Ram’s DT Trevor Laws was college teammates for five years with Vikings TE John Carlson and C John Sullivan at Notre Dame from 2003- 07, as well as S Harrison Smith in 2007.