The Minnesota Vikings (6-5) travel to Lambeau Field to take on the Green Bay Packers (7-4) on Sunday, December 2, 2012 in a matchup of NFC North rivals. It is the 1st of 2 games between the Vikings and Packers in 4 weeks. The unusually late meeting of the teams marks the 1st time both border rivalry games take place in December and the December 2nd matchup this weekend is the latest 1st meeting between the teams in the history of the series.
Vikings RB Adrian Peterson (1,619), the NFL’s leading rusher, enters the game 9 carries shy of passing former Vikings RB Bill Brown (1,627) for the most rushing attempts in franchise history. Peterson also enters the game with a career best 5 straight games with 100+ yards rushing.
Vikings-Packers Gameday Page
Click here to visit the Vikings-Packers gameday page on vikings.com. Here you'll be able to track the game live as it happens with live scoring plus stats and info. Additionally, chat live with vikings.com's Mike Wobschall and other Vikings fans as the game is happening.
Game Press Release
TV: KMSP 9 / FOX
Play-By-Play: Joe Bucker Analyst: Troy Aikman
Sideline Reporter: Pam Oliver
RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3 / KTLK-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporters: Greg Coleman & Ben Leber
Pre-Game Show: 10 AM CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 74-station, 6-state Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. Click here to view all stations on the Vikings Radio Network.
• Vikings RB Adrian Peterson leads the NFL with 1,236 rushing yards, more yards than 18 NFL teams and is tied for 5th with 7 rushing TDs. Peterson has 5 consecutive games of 100+ yards for the 1st time in his career, which is tied with Robert Smith for the team record. Peterson set a new Vikings record with his 5th career 1,000-yard rushing seasons.
• Vikings WR Percy Harvin is 12th in the NFL with 62 receptions, despite missing 2 games. Harvin has caught a pass in every game he’s played in his career including playoff s (56). Harvin is also 1st in the NFL in KOR average with a 35.9-yard mark.
• Vikings K Blair Walsh is 3rd in the League with 41 kickoff touchbacks, which is the Vikings franchise record for touchbacks in a season (previously 40).
• The Vikings have allowed only 11 kickoff returns of 20+ yards, which is the fewest in the NFL.
• Walsh is 2nd in team history with 5 FG of 50+ yards in a season, trailing Ryan Longwell’s 6 in 2008.
• The Vikings 77 sacks since the start of the 2011 season are the 4th most in the NFL. During that same time span, the Vikings are tied for the 6th most forced fumbles (26) and are tied for the 3rd most fumble recoveries (23) in the League.
• The Vikings rank 1st in the NFL with 18 runs of 20+ yards and 3 runs of 50+ yards.
• Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph is 3rd in the League among all TEs with 7 TD catches and is tied for 3rd in Vikings history for TDs by a TE in a season, trailing Visanthe Shiancoe’s team record 11 set in 2009.
• According to League stats, LB Chad Greewnay is 2nd in the NFL in tackles with 107 and he is tied for the NFL lead since 2007 with 10 fumble recoveries.
• The Vikings rank 2nd in the NFL in 1st down rushing defense allowing only 3.56 yards per rush.
• Vikings S Harrison Smith is the 1st Vikings rookie to return an INT for a TD since 2003. Should Smith start his 12th game in Week 13, that would move him into 2nd in Vikings history among rookie safeties, trailing Chuck Lamson’s 14 in 1962 for the team record.
• The Vikings, with a 25.1 avg., rank 2nd in the NFL in average starting position following a kickoff .
• Vikings DT Kevin Williams will make his 152nd career start in week 13, which is 2nd in franchise history behind Hall of Famer Alan Page’s 157 starts at DT.
Vikings Big Days vs. Packers
• DE Jared Allen set a career-high with 4.5 sacks against the Packers on Monday Night Football on 10/5/09 in a Vikings 30-23 win.
• WR Percy Harvin led the Vikings with 5 receptions for 84 yards and 1 TD in a Vikings 38-26 win at Lambeau Field on 11/1/09.
• WR Michael Jenkins set a career-high with 111 receiving yards and also added a TD against Green Bay on 10/23/2011
• Vikings CB Antoine Winfield was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Week for the Wild Card playoff game at Green Bay on 1/9/05 after recording an interception and 11 tackles.
• RB Adrian Peterson rushed for 192 yards against the Packers on 11/9/08, the third-highest rushing total of his career. He also added a rushing TD, helping the Vikings to a 28-27 win.
Vikings vs. Packers Series Notes
• The Vikings and Packers have played 102 times overall with Green Bay holding a 53-48-1 series record.
• The last time the Vikings and Packers met was in Week 10 of the 2011 season at Lambeau Field, a Packers 45-7 win.
• The Vikings and Packers have matched up only once in the playoff s. In 2004, the Vikings handed the Packers a 31-17 loss at Lambeau Field.
• This will be the third regular season meeting between Minnesota and Green Bay since Leslie Frazier became head coach of the Vikings. His record is 0-2 against the Packers.
• The Vikings and Packers have played six overtime games in series history, with Minnesota holding a 4-1-1 advantage in those games.
• The Vikings are currently 23-28-1 when visiting the Packers. The Packers won 45-7 in the last contest between the teams at Lambeau Field in 2011 on Monday Night Football.
A Win Would...
• Improve the Vikings record against the NFC to 345-274-9 all time.
• Improve the Vikings record against the NFC North to 169-135-4 all time.
• Improve Minnesota’s record to 49-53-1 in the overall series with the Packers.
• Give Leslie Frazier his 1st win over the Packers as Vikings head coach.
• Give the Vikings their first win over the Packers since 2009.
• Give the Vikings their first win over the Packers at Lambeau Field since 2009.
VIKINGS- PACKERS CONNECTIONS
• Packers VP of Football Administration/Player Finance Russ Ball spent time with the Vikings from 1999-2000 as the Senior Football Administrator.
• Packers VP of Sales and Marketing Tim Connolly served 2 seasons as the Vikings Executive VP and GM from 1998-99.
• Packers Area Scout Lee Gissendaner went to training camp with the Vikings and spent parts of the 1996 season on Minnesota’s practice squad.
• Packers LB Robert Francois signed with the Vikings as an undrafted free agent in 2009 and spent part of the preseason with the Vikings. Was released by Minnesota to make room for the Brett Favre signing.
• Packers Assistant OL Coach Joel Hilgenberg’s uncle, Wally, played LB for the Vikings from 1967-79.
• Vikings Assistant DL Coach Diron Reynolds’ brother, Jamal, was a 1st round pick for the Green Bay Packers in 2001. Jamal played from 2001- 03 with the Packers.
• Packers Director of College Scouting Brian Gutekunst’s father was the head coach for the University of Minnesota from 1985-92.
• Packers Director of Research and Development Mike Eayrs spent 16 seasons with the Minnesota Vikings as the Director of Research and Development. Eayrs, who was born in West Concord, Minn., holds a bachelor’s degree from Augsburg College in Minneapolis and a master’s degree from the University of South Dakota. Eayrs spent time coaching in Winnebago, Minn. and at Minnesota State, Mankato.
• Vikings Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer graduated from high school in Green Bay while his dad coached for the Packers.
• Packers C Jeff Saturday (1999-2011) played in Indianapolis with Vikings G Charlie Johnson (2006-10). Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier (2005- 06), Defensive Coordinator Alan Williams (2002-11) and Assistant DL Coach Diron Reynolds (2002-06) all coached in Indianapolis during Saturday’s tenure.
• Packers Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers coached with Vikings Assistant DL Coach Diron Reynolds with the Miami Dolphins in 2007.
• Packers DL Coach Mike Trgovak coached for the Philadelphia Eagles while Vikings RB Coach James Saxon played his final season in the NFL for the Eagles in 1995.
• Vikings Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave and WR Michael Jenkins were with the Atlanta Falcons with Packers Secondary Coach Joe Whitt Jr. in 2007.
• Packers Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers coached with Vikings LB Coach Fred Pagac at Ohio State from 1982-83.
• Vikings LB Audie Cole and Packers LB Terrell Manning played together from 2008-11 at NC State.
• Packers LB Clay Matthews and Vikings DE Everson Griffen, T Matt Kalil and TE Rhett Ellison were teammates at USC.
• Packers DT Ryan Pickett and Vikings CB Antoine Winfield played together in 1998 at Ohio State while Vikings LB coach Fred Pagac served as the team’s Defensive Coordinator.
• Vikings WR Jarius Wright and Packers TE D.J. Williams were teammates at Arkansas from 2007-10.