The Minnesota Vikings (5-4) host the Detroit Lions (4-4) on November 11, 2012 at Mall of America Field in the final regular season matchup between the 2 NFC North teams.
The Vikings defeated the Lions, 20-13, on September 30, behind 2 return TDs, a 105-yard kickoff return TD by Percy Harvin and a 77-yard punt return TD by Marcus Sherels. Adrian Peterson eclipsed the 100-yard mark for the 1st time in 2012 in the 1st matchup, a feat he has accomplished in 3 consecutive games entering week 10.
Vikings GM Rick Spielman attended training camp with the Lions as a player and received his first 1st NFL personnel experience with the Lions when he served as a college scout and later a pro scout. Spielman’s brother, Chris, played 8 seasons (1988-95) at LB for the Lions.
Vikings-Lions Gameday Page
Click here to visit the Vikings-Lions gameday page on vikings.com. Here you'll be able to track the game live as it happens with live scoring plus stats and info. Additionally, chat live with vikings.com's Mike Wobschall and other Vikings fans as the game is happening.
Game Press Release
TV: KMSP 9 / FOX
Play-By-Play: Dick Stockton Analyst: John Lynch
Sideline Reporter: Jennifer Hale
RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3 / KTLK-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporters: Greg Coleman & Ben Leber
Pre-Game Show: 10 AM CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 74-station, 6-state Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. Click here to view all stations on the Vikings Radio Network.
• Vikings RB Adrian Peterson leads the NFL with 957 rushing yards and ranks 2nd among RBs with a 5.7 yards per carry average. Peterson has 3 consecutive games of 100+ yards for the 1st time since 2008 (11/30-12/14)
• Vikings WR Percy Harvin is 1st in the NFL with 62 receptions. Harvin has caught a pass in every game he’s played in his career including playoff s (56). Harvin (35.9) also leads the NFL in KOR avg.
• Vikings K Blair Walsh is 2nd in the League with 35 kickoff touchbacks. Walsh has the opportunity to break the team record, which is 40, week 10 vs. the Lions. Walsh is also tied for 3rd in the NFL with 19 FGs made and has the 4th most points scored in the NFL with 76.
• The Vikings 74 sacks since the the start of the 2011 season are the most in the NFL. During that same time span, the Vikings have the 2nd most forced fumbles (25) and are tied for the 3rd most fumble recoveries (21) in the League.
• The Vikings rank 1st in the NFL with 14 runs of 20+ yards.
• The Vikings have allowed only 25 plays of 20+ yards, which is tied for 5th in the NFL.
• Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph is 3rd in the League lead among all TEs with 5 TD catches.
• The Vikings rank 4th in the NFL in 1st down rushing defense allowing only 3.62 yards per rush.
• With his 31-yard INT return TD vs. Arizona (10/21), Vikings S Harrison Smith is the 1st Vikings rookie to return an INT for a TD since 2003.
• The Vikings, with a 25.2 avg., rank 2nd in the NFL in average starting position following a kickoff.
• The Vikings are tied for the League lead with only 8 dropped passes during the 2012 season.
• Vikings DE Jared Allen is tied for 7th in the NFC with 7.0 sacks.
• Vikings DT Kevin Williams will make his 150th career start in week 10, which will tie him with Hall of Famer John Randle for the 2nd most by a DT in Vikings history.
• In 10 career games vs. the Lions, Vikings RB Adrian Peterson has 994 rushing yards and 8 TDs on 190 attempts, including 6 100+ rushing yard performances. Peterson has the chance to go over 1,000 career rushing yards vs. the Lions. The Packers (1,033) are the only team that Peterson has more career rushing yards against.
Vikings Big Days vs. Lions
• DE Jared Allen recorded a total of 6.0 sacks in 2 games against the Lions in 2011. Allen finished the season with 22.0 sacks, setting a new Vikings single-season record for sacks and finishing just 1.0 sack short of breaking the NFL’s single-season sack record.
• LB Chad Greenway set a career-high with 2 INT against the Lions on 9/20/09. Greenway added 3 tackles in a Vikings 27-13 win.
• In the last meeting between the Vikings and Lions on 9/30/12, WR Percy Harvin took the opening kickoff and returned it 105 yards for a touchdown. The Vikings won 20-13.
• DT Kevin Williams recorded 4 tackles, 1.0 sack, and scored a touchdown when he recovered a fumble in the end zone against the Seahawks on 10/22/06. The Vikings won 31-13.
Vikings vs. Lions Series Notes
• The Vikings and Lions have played 102 times overall with Minnesota holding a 67-33-2 series record.
• The last time the Vikings and Lions met was in Week 4 of this season at Ford Field in Detroit, a Vikings 20-13 win.
• This will be the fourth regular season meeting between Minnesota and Detroit since Leslie Frazier became head coach of the Vikings. His record is 1-2 against the Lions.
• The Vikings and Lions have played two overtime games in series history. In 2007, the Lions won 20-17 at Ford Field. In Week 3 of last season, the Lions again won on a field goal, 26-23.
• The Vikings are currently 36-13-1 against the Lions at home. The Lions won their last trip to Mall of America Field 26-23 in overtime in 2011.
A Win Would...
• Improve the Vikings record against the NFC to 344-273-9 all time.
• Improve the Vikings record against the NFC North to 168-134-4 all time.
• Improve Minnesota’s record to 68-33-1 in the overall series with the Lions.
• Give Leslie Frazier his 1st win over the Lions at Mall of America Field as Vikings Head Coach.
• Give the Vikings their second-straight win over the Lions.
• Give the Vikings their 14th win over the Lions at Mall of America Field in the past 15 games between the two teams.
• Lions WR Nate Burleson, who is currently on IR, played for the Vikings from 2003-05, recording career highs in both yards (1,006) and TDs (9) in 2004. Burleson was a 3rd round pick (71st overall) of the Vikings in 2003.
• Lions QB Shaun Hill played from 2002-06 with the Vikings. Hill signed with the Vikings as an undrafted rookie free agent.
• Detroit’s Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan spent 2002-04 with the Vikings as the Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach.
• Lions QB Coach Todd Downing, an Eden Prairie, Minn. native, got his start with the Vikings as a football systems analyst from 2003-04 and the Offensive Quality Control Coach in 2005. During the summers from 2000- 02, Downing played for the Minnesota Maulers, a semi-pro team. Prior to entering the NFL, Downing coached for Eden Prairie High School, his alma mater, and helped them to a Minnesota Class 5A state title. Downing graduated from the University of Minnesota in 2002.
• Silas McKinnie, a regional scout for the Lions, spent 5 seasons (1997-2002) at the same position with the Vikings.
• Vikings FB Jerome Felton spent 3 seasons from 2008-10 with the Lions.
• Rick Spielman, the Vikings GM, received his 1st NFL personnel experience with the Lions serving as a college scout from 1990-94 before adding pro scouting duties in his fi nal 2 seasons (95-96) with the Lions.
• Vikings TE Coach Jimmie Johnson played TE for the Lions from 1992-93.
• Vikings Personnel Consultant Jerry Reichow was a 4th-round pick in 1956 by Detroit and helped the Lions to their last NFL title in 1957.
• Kevin Warren, the Vikings VP of Legal Affairs and Chief Administrative Officer, spent 2001-03 with the Detroit Lions as Senior VP of Business Operations and General Counsel.
• Lions Head Coach Jim Schwartz served as a graduate assistant coach for the University of Minnesota football team in 1990.
• Lions Assistant Director of Pro Personnel Charlie Sanders played for the University of Minnesota and was drafted in the 3rd-round of the 1968 NFL Draft by the Lions.
• Vikings DB Coach Joe Woods coached at a trio of Michigan schools before landing in the NFL. Woods coached at Eastern Michigan (1993), Grand Valley State (1994-96) and Western Michigan (2001-03).
• Vikings C Joe Berger is a Newaygo, Mich. native and attended Michigan Tech. Also a Michigan native, Vikings LB Audie Cole is from Munroe, Mich.
• Vikings Defensive Assistant Coach Jeff Imamura coached at Saginaw Valley State in University Center, Michigan.
• Lions C Dylan Gandy, T Corey Hilliard and CB Jacob Lacey all played under Vikings Defensive Coordinator Alan Williams for the Indianapolis Colts. Gandy and Hilliard were also in Indianapolis while Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier, and Vikings G Charlie Johnson were with the organization.
• Lions TE Tony Scheffler and Vikings Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer were both with the Denver Broncos for the 2009 season.
• Lions WR Ryan Broyles and LB Travis Lewis played the 2008 season at Oklahoma with Vikings T Phil Loadholt. The trio helped the Sooners claim the Big 12 Championship that season.
• Lions C Corey Hilliard (2003-06), CB Jacob Lacey (2005-08), TE Brandon Pettigrew (2003-06) and Vikings G Charlie Johnson (2002-05) all spent time together at Oklahoma State.
• Vikings DE Everson Griffen, FB Rhett Ellison and Lions DE Lawrence Jackson were teammates at USC for the 2007 season.
• Lions LB Ashlee Palmer and Vikings S Jamarca Sanford were teammates for 2 seasons (2007-08) at Ole Miss
• Vikings DT Christian Ballard (2007-10) TE Allen Reisner (2007-10) , Lions S Amari Spievey (2006-09), T Riley Reiff (2008-11) were teammates at Iowa.
• Vikings K Blair Walsh and Lions QB Matthew Stafford were teammates at Georgia for the 2008 season.