The Minnesota Vikings (0-1 in preseason) will come home to Mall of America Field for preseason week two, taking on the Buffalo Bills (0-1 in preseason) on Friday, August 17. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m. CST.
Friday’s game will be the 10th preseason meeting between the Vikings and Bills. The last preseason meeting between the two teams was in 2002 at Buffalo in a Bills 24-21 win. Minnesota is 6-3 against the Bills in preseason play all-time and 3-1 at home.
Next Friday the Vikings will stay at home to take on the San Diego Chargers at Mall of America Field, while the Bills will host the Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday, August 25. The Vikings roster has 41 new faces since the conclusion of the 2011 season. Along with 10 draft picks, the Vikings signed John Carlson and Jerome Simpson, in addition to 12 other free agents and picked up 17 undrafted rookie free agents.
The Vikings roster currently stands at 90 players. Frazier also added two new coaches to his staff, Defensive Coordinator Alan Williams and Defensive Line Coach Brendan Daly.
Vikings-Bills Gameday Page
Click here to visit the Vikings-Bills gameday page on vikings.com. Here you'll be able to track the game live as it happens with live scoring plus stats and info. Additionally, chat live with vikings.com's Mike Wobschall and other Vikings fans as the game is happening.
Game Press Release
TV: KARE 11
Play-By-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman & Ben Lever
RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3 / KTLK-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman & Ben Lever
Pre-Game Show: 5 PM CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 74-station, 6-state Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. Click here to view all stations on the Vikings Radio Network.
Vikings In The Preseason
* The Vikings have a combined record of 138-91-3 (.601) in their 232 preseason games.
* The team has finished undefeated in the preseason six times (1964, ‘65, ‘73, ‘92, ‘98, ‘01).
* The Vikings have finished with a .500 record or better 40 times in the team’s 51 preseasons.
* In the 40 previous preseasons when the Vikings have finished at .500 or better, the team has gone on to finish at .500 or better 31 times in the ensuing regular season.
* In the 11 preseasons when the Vikings have finished below .500, the team has gone on to finish below .500 six times in the ensuing regular season.
* Head Coach Leslie Frazier has a 2-3 preseason record and will coach in his first-ever game against the Buffalo Bills as a full-time head coach.
Vikings Big Days vs. Bills
* DE Jared Allen has forced a fumble in both career games vs. Buffalo. Allen also recorded two sacks on 11/13/05 as a member of the Kansas City Chiefs.
* DB Chris Carr recovered a fumble on 10/23/05 as a member of the Oakland Raiders. Carr also tallied four tackles and a pass deflection on 10/23/10 as a member of the Baltimore Ravens.
* WR Michael Jenkins caught four passes for 48 yards including a 15-yard TD on 9/25/05 as a member of the Atlanta Falcons.
* P Chris Kluwe pinned the Bills inside the 20 yard line four times on six attempts on 10/1/06.
* RB Adrian Peterson ran for 107 yards on 16 carries including a 43-yard TD on 12/5/10.
* DE Brian Robison recovered two fumbles on 12/5/10.
* QB Joe Webb returned his only career kickoff for 30 yards on 12/5/10.
* DT Kevin Williams tallied eight tackles including a sack and 1.5 tackles for loss on 10/1/06.
* Former Bill Antoine Winfield intercepted QB Ryan Fitzpatrick and returned it 41 yards. Winfield also recorded 11 tackles on 10/1/06 against his former team.
Vikings vs. Bills Series Notes
* The Vikings and Bills have played 12 times overall with Minnesota holding an 8-4-0 series record.
*The Vikings own the advantage in the regular season series. The teams have met 12 previous times in the regular season with the Vikings holding an edge at 8-4-0. They have never matched up in the postseason.
* The last time the Vikings and Bills met was 2010, when the Vikings beat the Bills 38-14. RB Adrian Peterson ran for 107 yards on 16 attempts, including 3 TDs.
*This will be the first meeting between Minnesota and Buffalo since Leslie Frazier became head coach of the Vikings. Frazier and the Vikings defeated the Bills 38-14 in 2010 in his second game as interim head coach.
*The Vikings and Bills have played only 1overtime game in the regular season in their series history, a Bills 45-39 win at Mall of America Field
*The last time the Bills traveled to Mall of America Field in the preseason was in 1996 when they beat the Vikings 35-12.
-Vikings CB Antoine Winfield was drafted by the Bills in 1999 and played there until 2003 before signing with the Vikings.
- Bills DE Spencer Johnson played for the Vikings from 2004-07.
- Vikings running backs coach James Saxon held the same position for the Buffalo Bills in 2000, his first season as an NFL coach.
- Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer coached with Bills offensive line coach Joe D’Alessandris and Bills wide receivers coach Bob Bicknell in 2008 with the Chiefs when Priefer was special teams coordinator,
D’Alessandris was the assistant offensive line coach, and Bicknell was the offensive line coach.
- Vikings wide receivers coach George Stewart coached with Bills special teams coordinator Bruce DeHaven in San Francisco from 2000-02 in the same positions.
- Vikings WR Devin Aromashodu was teammates with Bills DE Mark Anderson with the Chicago Bears in 2009.
- Vikings CB Chris Carr teamed with Bills DT Dwan Edwards on the Ravens defense in 2009.
- Carr also was teammates with Bills LB Kirk Morrison in Oakland from 2005- 07.
- WR Jerome Simpson was teammates with Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick with the Cincinnati Bengals in Simpson’s rookie season in 2008.
- Vikings WR Michael Jenkins was teammates with Bills LB Bryan Scott from 2004-05 when they were both with the Atlanta Falcons.
- Vikings C John Sullivan and TE John Carlson were teammates with Bills T Sam Young at Notre Dame in 2006. Young was also teammates with Vikings S Robert Blanton, TE Kyle Rudolph, and S Harrison Smith at Notre Dame in 2008.
- Vikings QB Christian Ponder was teammates at Florida State with Bills P Shawn Powell, LB Nigel Bradham, and OL Zebrie Sanders from 2008-10.
- Vikings WR Percy Harvin was teammates with Bills WR David Nelson at the University of Florida from 2006-08 and won 2 National Championships with the Gators.