One of the classic NFL matchups will be renewed this weekend in the 101st meeting between NFC North rivals the Minnesota Vikings (1-4) and the Chicago Bears (2-3), at Soldier Field under the lights of Sunday Night Football. This will be the 8th time the clubs have met on Sunday Night and will mark the 22nd all-time prime time meeting between the Black and Blue division rivals. The annual Vikings-Bears tussles are always competitive and rugged, like the histories of the franchises involved. Minnesota is 21-26-2 all-time against the Bears on the road.
Vikings-Bears Gameday Page
Click here to visit the Vikings-Bears gameday page on vikings.com. Here you'll be able to track the game live as it happens with live scoring plus stats and info. Additionally, chat live with vikings.com's Mike Wobschall and other Vikings fans as the game is happening.
Game Press Release
Play-By-Play: Al Michaels Analyst: Cris Collinsworth
Sideline Reporter: Michelle Tafoya
RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3 / KTLK-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman
Pre-Game Show: 5 p.m. CT
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 74-station, 6-state Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. Click here to view all stations on the Vikings Radio Network.
What To Watch For
• K Ryan Longwell kicked the 2nd longest FG in Vikings history, and a career-long, 55-yarder against Chicago on 10/14/07. Longwell has attempted 57 FGs, making 47, against Chicago, the second most against any NFL team, trailing only Detroit (61).
• Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier (CB) and assistants Fred Pagac (TE) and Mike Singletary (LB) all played for the Bears.
• RB Adrian Peterson ran for 224 yards and 3 TDs, including a 73 -yard touchdown run in his 1st career game against the Bears on 10/14/07.
• With a sack, DE Jared Allen can extend his consecutive-game sack streak to 8 games, which would tie a Viking record, held by Jim Marshall in 1969 and Carl Eller from 1975-76.
• WR Percy Harvin can set a new Viking record by a WR in rushing attempts with just 2 more carries. He currently has 46, the Viking record is held by Anthony Carter at 47.
• CB Antoine Winfield will be starting his 100th career game as a member of the Vikings.
• With 1 rushing TD RB Adrian Peterson will tie Bears legend Walter Payton, and move into 5th place all-time for rushing TDs in first 5 seasons (Peterson currently has 58).
• The teams will play in prime time for the 5th straight season. The clubs have met 12 total times on Monday Night, twice on Thursday Night and this will be the 8th on Sunday Night.
Vikings 2011 Noteables of the Week
• RB Adrian Peterson’s 224-yard rushing effort against the Bears on 10/14/07 is the single highest rushing mark allowed in Bears history. Likewise, Walter Payton ran for the most yards against the Vikings with 275-yards in the 11/20/77.
• CB Antoine Winfield scored his 1st career TD against the Bears in 2006 on a 7-yard INT off Rex Grossman, the 1st of 5 TDs Winfield has accumulated in his career.
• QB Donovan McNabb is 5-1(including playoffs) all-time on the road against the Bears and is 4-1 in his hometown at Soldier Field. He is 1-0 in Champaign, IL.
• DE’s Jared Allen (1st) and Brian Robison (tied 9th) are both in the NFL top-10 in sacks.
• DB Marcus Sherels (#3, 15.2) and RB Lorenzo Booker (#8, 27.6) rank in the NFL’s top 10 in punt return and kickoff return average respectively.
Vikings Big Days vs. Bears
• S Husain Abdullah recorded 2 interceptions in a week 10 loss last season on 11/14/10. Abdullah also tallied 7 tackles in week 15 on 12/20/10.
• CB Asher Allen had 3 tackles and an interception returned for 27 yards, along with a pass deflection on 12/20/10.
• DE Jared Allen had 8 tackles and 2.5 sacks for a loss of 23.5 yards on 11/30/08. Allen also tallied 2 sacks for a loss of 14 yards, recorded an interception, and had a pass deflection on 11/29/09. Allen also totaled 10 QB hurries and 2 sacks against the Bears on 11/14/10.
• DT Remi Ayodele forced a fumble against Chicago on 9/23/07 as a member of the Dallas Cowboys.
• WR Bernard Berrian caught an NFL record 99-yard TD on 11/30/08. He had 122 receiving yards on the day.
• RB Toby Gerhart earned his career-high 77 rushing yards against the Bears on 12/20/10.
• CB Cedric Griffin recorded 8 tackles on 10/19/08. Griffin had an interception in both games in the 2009 season.
• WR Percy Harvin caught a 53-yard TD on 11/14/10. Harvin also had 101 receiving yards on 11/29/09. Harvin is averaging nearly 70 yards receiving a game against the Bears in 4 contests.
• LB E.J. Henderson had 10 tackles on 10/14/07 and 11/14/10.
• P Chris Kluwe punted 9 times for an average of 47.4 with a long of 62, including one inside of the 20-yard line on 11/30/08. Kluwe also placed the Bears inside the 20-yard line four times on 12/17/07.
• QB Donovan McNabb went 23-32 for 244-yards and 2 TDs on 11/22/09 as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles. McNabb is 6-2 against the Bears all-time.
• RB Adrian Peterson ran for 224-yards and 3 TDs, including a 73 -yard touchdown run in his first career game against the Bears on 10/14/07. He also ran for 121-yards and 2 TDs on 10/19/08
• TE Visanthe Shiancoe had 4 catches for 40 yards and a TD on 12/28/09.
• CB Antoine Winfield tallied 10 tackles and an interception on 9/24/06.
• TE Jim Kleinsasser caught 2 of his 7 career TDs against the Bears on 9/14/03. Kleinsasser has scored 5 of his 7 career TDs against NFC North opponents.
Vikings vs. Bears Series Notes
• The Vikings and Bears played 100 times overall with Minnesota holding a 52-45-2 regular season series record and lead 52-46-2 overall.
• Chicago is 1-0 against Minnesota in the playoffs, winning 35-18 in a 1994 Wild Card Playoff meeting at the Metrodome.
• The Bears won the previous meeting 40-14 at TCF Bank Stadium on Monday Night Football in 2010. Chicago has won the last three games against the Vikings.
• The Vikings are 31-20 at home vs. the Bears in the series, and 21-26-2 as visitors.
• The home team has won 6 of the last 7 meetings. Since the 2002 season, the Vikings are 7-2 against Chicago in Minnesota and 10-4 at home since 1997.
• This will be Leslie Frazier’s second game against his former team as head coach. Last season, Frazier lost 40-14 against Chicago. Lovie Smith is 8-6 in 14 meetings against the Vikings since becoming the Bears head coach in 2004.
• The Vikings won the 1st meeting 37-13 in 1961 in Minnesota. The Bears won the next four games against the Vikings from 1961 to 1963.
• The teams played 4 overtime game against each other. The Vikings are 3-1 in overtime and won the first 3 games. Chicago won the last sudden- death contest 36-30 in 2009 at Soldier Field.
• Former Bear Devin Aromashodu beat the Vikings with a 39-yard TD reception in OT in 2009.
• RB Adrian Peterson has scored 11 career TDs against the Chicago Bears, the most against any opponent in the NFL.
• K Ryan Longwell is 9-9 on his last 9 50 yard+ FG attempts.
A Win Would...
• Improve the Vikings regular season record against the NFC North to 166-129-5 (.553).
• Improve the Vikings record against the Chicago Bears to 53-46-2.
• Give Head Coach Leslie Frazier his 1st road victory without the interim tag.
• Give the Vikings the edge, all-time, against the Bears in October with a record of 17-16.
- Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier played for the Chicago Bears from 1981 to 1986 and was a member of the 1985 Super Bowl XX winning team.
- Vikings LBs coach Mike Singletary spent his entire playing career with the Chicago Bears from 1981 to 1992. He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1998 and won a Super Bowl ring with the Bears in 1985.
- Vikings WR Bernard Berrian was drafted by the Bears in 2004 and played in Chicago until 2007.
- Vikings WR Devin Aromashodu was on the Bears roster from 2008 to 2010.
- Bears OL coach Mike Tice coached and played for Minnesota. He spent 2001 to 2005 as the Vikings head coach and was the OL coach from 1997 to 2001. Tice played TE for the Vikings in 1992, 1993, and 1995.
- Vikings defensive coordinator Fred Pagac played TE for the Chicago Bears in 1974.
- Vikings Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman spent three seasons as the Bears Director of Pro Personnel from 1997 to 1999.
- Vikings defensive line coach Karl Dunbar made his NFL coaching debut as the Chicago Bears defensive line coach in 2004 during Lovie Smith’s first year as the head coach of the Bears. -Dunbar was Bears DL Israel Idonije’s defensive line coach in Chicago in 2004.
- The Vikings signed Bears RB Khalil Bell as an undrafted free agent in 2009.
- There will be 4 former NFL head coaches on the sidelines of Sunday Night’s game, including former Vikings Head Coach Mike Tice, former Rams Head Coach Mike Martz, former 49ers Head Coach Mike Singletary and former Lions Head Coach Rod Marinelli.
- Vikings QB Donovan McNabb is from Chicago, Illinois and attended Mount Carmel High School in Chicago.
- Bears TE Matt Spaeth attended the University of Minnesota and went to St. Michael-Albertville High School in St. Michael, Minnesota.
- Bears RB Marion Barber played college football at the University of Minnesota. The Plymouth, Minnesota native attended Wayzata High School.
- Vikings DT Fred Evans attended Morgan Park High School in Chicago.
- Vikings T Charlie Johnson played with Bears CB Tim Jennings with the Indianapolis Colts from 2006-2009 and were part of the Super Bowl XLI winning team in 2006.
- Vikings G Steve Hutchinson and Bears G Chris Spencer played together on the NFC Championship winning Seattle Seahawks team in 2005.
- Vikings LB Xavier Adibi teamed with Bears DT Amobi Okoye with the Houston Texas from 2008-10.
- Vikings DT Remi Ayodele and C Joe Berger played together with Bears RB Marion Barber, WR Roy Williams and WR Sam Hurd with the Dallas Cowboys.
- Bears WR Roy Williams and Vikings S Eric Frampton both played for the Detroit Lions in 2007.
- Vikings WR Michael Jenkins, and Bears offensive linemen Roberto Garza and Frank Omiyale were teammates with the Atlanta Falcons.
- Bears S Major Wright played with Vikings WR Percy Harvin at the University of Florida together and both were members of the 2008 National Championship team.
- Vikings LB Erin Henderson, Bears P Adam Podlesh and Bears G/C Edwin Williams were teammates at the University of Maryland.
- Vikings DB Cedric Griffin and DE Brian Robison were on the Texas Longhorns 2005 National Championship team with Bears DL Henry Melton. Vikings LS Cullen Loeffler, Griffin, and Robison also played with Bears WR Roy Williams at Texas.
- Vikings WR Bernard Berrian and Bears FB Tyler Clutts were college teammatesm at Fresno State in 2003.